Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Engine keeps stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 PM
Default Engine keeps stalling

I have A 2001 Hyunda Accent (manual tranny) with 100,000 miles on it. Had to rebuild the head about 3,000 miles ago due to timing belt idler pulley bearings letting go. When I picked up the car from the shop, The car was showing 2 codes- 1 for the TPS sensor and 1 for the acceleration sensor. The mechanics who did the work can't find the problem. I replaced the TPS sensor which did nothing. Basically the car was running fine except for a low erratic idle. I had to change the battery ground wire terminal at one point because it snapped off when I was trying to tighten it. Then the car started idling high-anywhere from 1500-2000 RPM. Still the car was running fine for months. The past few days the car started idling low again. After running fine today, I started the car tonight to go out and now it won't hold an idle and keeps stalling. The engine also responds kind of sluggish when I try to rev it to keep it from stalling. Could it be a bad groung somewhere or maybe something else? HELP!!!

Old 12-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Don't know ...
But, my guess would be that there is a broken wire somewhere which is causing the codes. In my opinion, the two codes are probably from the same problem.
Get a DVOM or multi-meter and check the schematic for the wire colors and start tracing for the problem. Maybe even check the connectors. My usual first step is to check all fuses first. Then go onto the issue with schematic in hand.

Good luck to you

Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I took it to my guy and he traced it to a bad ECM. Haven't got the car back yet but he's pretty competent. Only bad thing is we had trouble finding one for that year and the manual tranny. He found a used one so the cost wasn't horrible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 PM

If the engine was running before then what caused the ECM to go bad?
Well, I hope it fixes the problem.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 PM

The car never had any problems until the timing belt slipped and fried the valve train. I had the head rebuilt and thats when it started throwing the TPS and Accelerator code. The guys who did the head said they looked for 5 hrs to fix the problem and couldnt put any more time into it on their own dime. I said well, cause and effect-it didnt do it before so something obviously happened when they were fixing. They actually said it might be the ECM but I had no more money to diagnose so I just took the car.It ran fine, 35 MPG,etc, except for a high idle. I drove it for 4 months and it was fine. So the guy who is fixing now diagnosed it to the ECM. I think he even said it was something with a ground in the ECM. We'll see. I get it back Monday

Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 PM

I hope the new ECM fixes it.
If not then it was one expensive failure.

Good luck

Old 12-24-2016, 09:26 PM

LOL! I'm a pretty positive person, so I'm banking on it!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Default new ECM

OK, so the ECM was the problem. Car starts and runs fine, idles a tad rough but otherwise OK. So now the CEL comes on again with a new code-1123. I know it mwans slightly different things on different cars. How 'bout this little 'ol Accent?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:03 PM

Generic code for throttle position sensor problem.
The circuit has a fault (not the sensor)
Usually means a vacuum leak.
Take a can of brake cleaner and spray around in-take manifold / hoses
Be careful because a spark and/or heat could set it on fire.
See if the idle evens out or not.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Idle has been fine with the new ECM. I reset the CEL and it stays off and comes on again every other day with the 1123 code. Maybe when they were diagnosing they didnt put a vacuum line all the way or something

Quick Reply: Engine keeps stalling