Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Transmission Drain Without Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Default Transmission Drain Without Flush

Hello All;
I am a new member here as of today.
Below I will post a message I had placed in another Hyundai site far too long ago and I have never got a reasonable answer yet. Hope someone here can help with the "second" plug that is supposedly in the transaxle...
Thanks.
W.Y.

There is a second plug to drain the differential part of the transaxle, but I don't remember its exact location off hand.

Does this part use transmission fluid also and have to be changed at the same time ?? Mine is a 2002 and the drain plug is right at the front of the transmission pan. No problem with that one. The quote above is a new one on me. I would like somebody to post exactly where to find that drain plug.
How about the torque converter. How much will actually be left in it after draining the pan and the differential part of the transaxle.
I was planning on changing my transmission fluid real soon so I am glad I ran across this discussion.
W.Y.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Default RE: Transmission Drain Without Flush

I'm not familiar enough with Hyundais products to say there isn't a 2nd drain plug but I'd be willing to bet if there is a second drain plug it would be for the torque converter and not the differential portion of the tranny.

diff is the most reliable item on most vehicles.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Transmission Drain Without Flush

OK . . . to whoever this may help out , I checked with two different Hyundai dealers and they told me to protect my warranty the pan must be removed at 48K , km regardless of the drain plug at the front. Some in the same year have a filter and some don't. Your VIN number tells which one it is and mine came up as saying it does have a filter. So the pan had to be removed and cleaned as well as the 5 little magnets sitting in the bottom of the pan. And yes, there is a transaxle drain plug just back of the transmission to the right of the bell housing and that one drains out about another liter. The transmission cooling lines are disconnected and either blown out with comprssed air or by by short starts and stops of the enginse to clear most of the torque converter. Then a new filter and gasket and genuine Hyundai synthetic transmission fluid id added.
Pays to shop around. One Hyundai dealer said $259.00 plus taxes.
The other dealer closest to home said $138.00 plus taxes. Both dealers were quoting on identical parts and service.
I asked the $138.00 one how soon he could do it and he told me to bring it in the next morning at 9.00AM and that was this morning so it's a done deal.
W.Y.