Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Atos (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-atos-14/)
-   -   Atos Check engine Light and power loss. (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-atos-14/atos-check-engine-light-power-loss-13096/)

Luffarrock 10-03-2012 02:47 AM

Atos Check engine Light and power loss.

Hello,

My wife has a Atos 00' GLS that is acting a bit weird. When she drives it to work in the morning it temporarily feels very jerky and like it looses power, check engine light flashes and then it's ok again. Now the check engine light is on constantly though the car is only jerky in the morning when it's cold.

We had it checked at a hyundai garage and it was recommended we change the spark plugs and ignition wires, which we did. This did however not fix the problem.

thankful for any ideas on what could be the cause.

GeraldV 03-07-2013 05:47 PM

Power Loss

Originally Posted by Luffarrock (Post 44457)
Hello,

My wife has a Atos 00' GLS that is acting a bit weird. When she drives it to work in the morning it temporarily feels very jerky and like it looses power, check engine light flashes and then it's ok again. Now the check engine light is on constantly though the car is only jerky in the morning when it's cold.

We had it checked at a hyundai garage and it was recommended we change the spark plugs and ignition wires, which we did. This did however not fix the problem.

thankful for any ideas on what could be the cause.

I realise this is a very old post, but possibly this may help someone else.
Have the cambelt sprocket on the CRANKSHAFT checked. It is known to wear out and develop play. This results in valve and ignition timing to go out resulting in power loss.
The Atos engines are prone to this problem.

Luffarrock 03-08-2013 02:32 AM

Thanks for the reply Gerald

Ricardo Jorge 09-04-2013 05:48 AM

I have the same problem. Can you tell me if you fixed the problem?

I've taken the car to 2 difente mecanics and they cannot find the any problem.

Cheers.

Luffarrock 09-05-2013 02:57 AM

Hello,

We have in fact not fixed it ourselves. We recently had a new cambelt put in and we had the mechanic check the cambelt sprocket as previously suggested and it was all ok according to him.

The only other clue we have is that quite a common problem on the early Atos is a chip in the electronics box that malfunction and causes this problem, apparently a cheap fix.

Car seems to behave very well though appart form the temporary jerking in the morning.

Luffarrock 12-11-2013 06:18 AM

We finally got it sorted so I thought I´d share my solution. It was the MAP sensor that was malfunctioning, nothing about this when i checked the error codes, all i had was missfire on random cylinders.

Anyway, replaced the MAP sensor and all has been fine since. They are a bit tricky to source online but you can find one on Ebay for about £70, i bought a second hand one for £20, dead easy to change takes about 10 minutes to loose 2 bolts and a wire, bear in mind the sensor got an O ring so have some engine oil handy.

See photo below, it´s the sensor circled in top, number "2"

http://obrazki.elektroda.net/15_1215845879.jpg

Dirk van den Brink 07-16-2017 10:30 AM

Similar issue BUT...

Same symptoms. ‘01 Elantra. Loss of acceleration and power steering, oil, battery, and check engine lights on. Thing is, the engine is not stalled. It’s still running. Sounds like an elecrrical issue with the computer, and less like an ignition, timing or MAP sensor issue. Someone said something about a “chip” earlier (assuming you’re referring to the computer). Care to elaborate? I don’t want to start chasing things in this heat if someone else already has the answers! Thanks in advance!

avisitor 07-17-2017 12:38 AM

Did you scan the ECU for Diagnostic Trouble Codes?
Format is PXXXX
For example, P0300 is for random misfires