Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Dashboard Cracked~

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Default Dashboard Cracked~

Hello Everyone... *Newbie to the Forum *

My wifes 2006 Azera Limited has a crack in her dash that she spotted a week ago. The car has 16k on it and I couldn't imagine the dash cracking...?
But yes it is actually cracked, it seems to be around the deployment door that would flap open to let the airbag out. The stretchy crack seems to curve at the end as if it is following the airbag door...?

PS: I have never used Armor All... My father told me ever since I was a kid it cracks dashes... I use a terry cloth & water... Thats all... L

Attached are some photo's I took of her dashboard:

Name:  Dash_Crack-4.jpg
Views: 11048
Size:  53.1 KB
** Top right look at the crack...?**

Name:  Dash_Crack-3.jpg
Views: 8922
Size:  23.8 KB
** Close-Up of the crack notice it turning left toward the other end of the airbag panel?**

Name:  Dash_Crack-2.jpg
Views: 9846
Size:  24.2 KB
**Close up of the crack... So sad!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Default RE: Dashboard Cracked~

That is pretty strange... I wonder if the airbag had a malfunction and tried to deploy. Was it there all of a sudden, or small at first and keeps growing?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 AM

Jim,

That is really bad news. This is the first time I have heard of a dash cracking since the cars of the 70s. I thought this problem was solved. I wonder what cheap material Hyundai is using?

I know that you live in a moderate climate so it can't be from temperature extremes. That was the main cause of dash cracks in the older cars. General Motors and Nissan had the most problems. General Motors had huge dashes with a lot of exposure and the Japanese used cheap vinyl.

I noticed in one of your close up photos that the dash material seems somewhat thin. Another problem with the Azera may be the fact that the dash surface is flat and quite large, similiar to the older GM cars. Does your wife work, and if so,is the car left outside all day?

Of course you are covered under warranty but never the less, it is going to be an inconvenience with your car out of commission for who knows how long.

Be sure to keep us posted as to the outcome.

David <><

Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Is the dealer covering this under warranty? They should be, especially with a safety issue involved.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM

Hey guys-

Just came back from the dealer and they said it would take up to one week to fix this. I thought that was insane... But if they really can fix it then hell I will leave it for a month and drive the wife to her vanpool everyday.

As for the material it is the seam around the airbag like I thought it was that is shrinking and eventually cracked. My wife parks it outside everyday and uses a sunsheild. Her VW turbo beetle never had this problem. Heck that dash was like 5 feet deep!! And she never shielded it from the sun... Oh well live and learn I guess...

PS: I will keep you guys posted when I drop it off and the out come when I get it back forsure!

Take care,

Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 PM

If it takes that long, the dealer should supply a loaner for something covered under the warranty.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Good photos. I agree the cause is the airbag deployment seam. It was probably cut (or molded) too deep and direct sunlight shrinked the (likely)urethane foam; as an old plastics engineer this has happened before and it is almost impossible to weed out in quality checks. The dealer probably wuill have a wait of at least a week for a replacement part and it should take at least 2 days to replace. Dashboards are a very difficult place to work on. Be glad it should be a warranty repair. cheers.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM

Yeah, mine did this as well after about 10mo of ownership. Dealer replaced under warranty. took about a week to get part in and a day to replace (dealer estimated 2 days) I would advise though to let your dealer take as much time as necessary to ensure everything is fitted right and put back together securely. You WILL notice if it done half-assed because your dash will inevitably develop creaks and rattles.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM

[&o] On my 10 hour drive home yesterday I noticed that mine has started to split as well. **sigh** This sucks.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:57 AM

Man this is getting sad to hear everyone going though my depressing ordeal... I STILL HAVE A CRACK! The dealership we normally take it to were A##holes. Tried another dealership and said there was a 2mth back order for the dash pad... *Cough* BS..... So I went to Hyundai's corporate Finance office near my house in Fountain Valley, Ca. Talked to the receptionist who introduced me to a customer service gal who takes care of Warranty questions. And she said it's a known issue and a TSB will be issued soon according to her with no date. She gave me a name of a good Hyundai Dealership in Long Beach, Ca and I just have not had the time to shoot over there and leave the damn car...

*** EVERYONE that is going though this. Keep everyone posted on your experience with the dealer and how long the whole process took? ****

Take care guys!
Love my wifes Azera, am tempted with the Genesis but not if this crap keeps happening...!

Quick Reply: Dashboard Cracked~