Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

05 with P0011

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Default 05 with P0011

I have a 2005 Elantra. It overheated and the oil looked gunky when I changed it out, the thermostat was bad. The engine runs fine and starts fine. But the check engine light is on and I can not get the code P0011 to clear. I had several codes and got them all to clear but not the P0011. It has 77k miles, the timing belt was changed, the cam position sensor has been replaced, the OCV has been replaced, the engine has been flushed twice. But it keeps saying the intake cam is over advanced. I saw on another thread there is an OCV filter. Do you clean or replace it? I have too get it to pass inspection. It is really making me mad because it runs fine.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cnfsd
It has 77k miles, the timing belt was changed, the cam position sensor has been replaced, the OCV has been replaced, the engine has been flushed twice. But it keeps saying the intake cam is over advanced.
Who changed the timing belt? Are you sure they did it correctly? Maybe the intake cam was off when the belt was replaced. That's where I'd check first.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

I do all my own work. I checked four times to make sure everything was lined up when I replaced the belt. I also tried adjusting the belt to make sure. But when I turned the cam back the engine just lost power so I put it back.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Did the code start right after the timing belt and cam position sensor change? Maybe you missed something. It happens.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM

I already had the check engine light on but after the engine overheated is the first time I saw the P0011. The oil got really dark and thick. It was after that that I changed the belt. The oil looked so bad that I pulled the valve cover and cleaned it. I was told a restriction in oil flow would cause the code.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I guess anyting is possible. Changing the OCV filter couldn't hurt.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM

The engine cooled off enough to work on. I only found out that there even was an OCV filter on here. I pulled the OCV filter and it was completelty clogged. I sprayed cleaner and nothing even got through the filter. I have it soaking in cleaner right now.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM

This is the oil control valve filter. It is a wire mesh filter attached inside to a bolt. just look for the bolt hidden behind the radiator hoses. It can be easily cleaned if you know it is there. If it gets clogged it restricts the oil flow and advances the intake cam. It does not cost anything to clean it first. Then worry about other things. I did it last and spent a whole lot of money on things that I most likely did not need. It is not on any maintenance schedule but I am getting a second one so I can change it out when I change the oil. Then I can clean it and have for the next oil change. This seems like the Hyundai engineers way sticking to the people that do not go to the dealer for service. I will be sending letters to Hyundai and my state representative about the inspection issue. I will also be checking to see if this is a fed issue. It really makes me mad that something so simple is hidden.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cnfsd
It is not on any maintenance schedule but I am getting a second one so I can change it out when I change the oil. Then I can clean it and have for the next oil change. This seems like the Hyundai engineers way sticking to the people that do not go to the dealer for service. I will be sending letters to Hyundai and my state representative about the inspection issue. I will also be checking to see if this is a fed issue. It really makes me mad that something so simple is hidden.
It's not on the maintenance schedule because it doesn't require service. If you keep you engine oil clean you won't have a problem. It's not "Hyundai engineers" fault that YOU allowed the engine oil to get dirty and get "gunky".

It really makes me mad that people like to blame everybody but themselves for not maintaining their car properly. Especially when they think they know more than the factory trained mechanics.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Over heating caused the oil to get gunky. Then flushing the engine as recomended by a factory trained mechanic pushed what was left after an oil change into a hidden filter and clogged it. I do not care what the cause was. The fix was never available to me. Even after spending over $500 at the dealer it was not fixed. So it was factory trained mechanics that did not fix it and left it to me. I could not get my state inspection because of the check engine light. Only because I saw it in the picture here did I know it was there. I knew there was an oil restriction but could not find it. The dealer was trying to get me to pay for a new oil pump next. So was it dishonest mechanics or a lack of training. I am not bashing the mechanics they all seemed like really good guys. I would bet they are following the tech instructions from Hyundai. It is Hyundai's design and not telling the mechanics that is wrong. There should be something like "when you change out the oil control valve clean the OCV filter."

Once again the mechanics were very nice and helpful. The service guys were very helpful. I do not for one minute think they were trying to take advantage. But they had a memo that said if a car came in with P0011 make sure there was 5W-20 oil and not 10W-30 and if the oil filter was not a Hyundai filter to change it to the hyundai filter. But no memo that said pull the OCV filter and check it? I would say the people making the teck manuels and sending the memo's out are the ones to blame. So make sure you know who I am bashing.

Quick Reply: 05 with P0011