Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2000 Elantra Power Window Issue (won't go down)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Default 2000 Elantra Power Window Issue (won't go down)

Okay guys, first of hello, new here, and first post. I don't personally own an Elantra, but by girlfriend has one and it's been having an issue with the driver side power window. I'll try to describe the problem and all the things I have tried in as much detail as possible.

It started when the regulator went bad, the window popped out when you tried to roll it up. We bought a new one, i installed it, and it worked like new for a while. Soon after, the weather stripping was starting to wear out, causing a lot of drag on the window as it went up, and caused it to fall out of the tracks again while coming up (if you pushed it with your hand while pushing the button for it to go up it worked fine.)

Well, just a few days ago, the window stopped going down, at all. All the other buttons, everything else works fine, but the driver side window down button does nothing. I took the switch out and attached my multimeter to the relevant pins. The switch is working properly, the resistance drops on the corresponding pins when the down button is pressed, and reads the same numbers as other pins for the other windows when they are pressed. The problem is that the signal is just not getting to the window motor. When I swap the wires around on the motor and press the window up button, the window goes down. So the motor is certainly capable of going down.

It seems to me the signal is getting lost somewhere along the way. Like if it goes to a relay (maybe the mechanism that does the one-click to roll it down all the way without holding the button?) I checked the fuse for power windows, it is fine.

I should add that every now and then (very rarely) it will work, but only for as long as you have the button depressed. If you let go and try it again it will not work.

We live in California, so there's no road salt and I don't think corrosion is an issue, though I will check that if someone tells me where to look. Does anyone have any ideas or know the location of what relays/switches/wires I should look at?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.(PS it adds an extra apostrophe when I only mean to add one, don't know why it is doing that...)

Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Banned
Default RE: 2000 Elantra Power Window Issue (won't go down)

My guess it's the switch. Under load conditions, it won't work. Testing with the voltmeter with no load... it's fine. You've shown the wires and the motor are fine.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:32 PM.