Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2000 Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Default 2000 Electrical problems

I purchased this elantra a couple of years ago, and it had way too much custom electrical work done. Most of it done very poorly, ie diverting the electrical lines from my right headlight to power some really lame lights on the side of the car.

Anyhow, I'm working on two problems right now that may be related.
(1) The headlights do not come on unless the key is past "ACC" and in the "ON" position. The sidelamps (the dinky yellow lights) do work regardless of what position the key is in.
(2) The speakers do not work unless the key is in the "ACC" position after being in the "ON" position. The stereo works in either position and the subwoofer (power fed from an amp) plays the base in either position as well.

I suspect the problem lies somewhere in the spaghetti of custom wires, most of which do nothing anymore. But if anyone has any helpful information about the 2000 Elantra's electrical system I would be very appreciative.
Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: A quirky symptom that may be helpful, when the key is in the "ON" position and the stereo is on, I hear a loud electrical discharge from my speakers if I turn on/off my headlights.