Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2001 Hyundai Elantra problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Default 2001 Hyundai Elantra problems

Hello, I have an 01 Hyundai Elantra and have had it for approx. 2 1/2 years. I have never had problems with it till the past 6 months. First was the drivers side front axle. I had it replaced and after a couple months it actually fell out of the transmision about 2 inches. So the mechanic put a new seal in it and put it back (thinking it was just not pushed in the whole way) after it was fixed it was still leaking trans fluid so I took it back and he replaced the seal again but it is still leaking? Any thoughts?
2nd I had it in for an oil change today and found out that the radiator is cracked along the top. Can it be fixed or does it need replaced?
3rd my check engine light is on and the code came up Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Not sure what to do?
And last but not least, every time I push on the gas or let off it makes a "thud" noise. check the motor mounts and they are tight? It only seems to do it in 1st or 2nd gear, but it seems to be when pressure is put on or let off.
I am so tired of fixing this car and still owe over a year of payments on it. I am a single mom of 2 kids and not an over abundance of funding either, so I can't just keep taking it and getting it fixed. If I can do it I will.
Thanks

Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by cljames07
Hello, I have an 01 Hyundai Elantra and have had it for approx. 2 1/2 years. I have never had problems with it till the past 6 months. First was the drivers side front axle. I had it replaced and after a couple months it actually fell out of the transmision about 2 inches. So the mechanic put a new seal in it and put it back (thinking it was just not pushed in the whole way) after it was fixed it was still leaking trans fluid so I took it back and he replaced the seal again but it is still leaking? Any thoughts?
Where did the axle come from.. likley not correct diameters on the joint' stub going into drive unit.. may need to just buy a Hyundai OE axle $$$.
What was problem with original axle ? I just dumped 2 OE axles yesterday that all they needed was complete boot kits, just had high mileage other thn that.

2nd I had it in for an oil change today and found out that the radiator is cracked along the top. Can it be fixed or does it need replaced?
Stop driving it like last week.. top tank cracked, blows coolant out, over heat, you drive, motor will be toast... Replace radiator, coolant, AND THERMOSTAT with OE thermostat and gasket,,, 2.0 in Elantra is bad for problems after getting overheated, repair it now, or pay a WHOLE LOT later.

3rd my check engine light is on and the code came up Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Not sure what to do?
Replace the MAP sensor -

Thanks
Get the cooling system done like last month, or you wont have a ride..

The senor is typically an on shelf part at dealer, maybe $70 for the part, look at intake manifold and see part that looks like what you have in your hand, should only need a 10mm wrench or socket for the 2 bolts.. swap part, snug the bolts, don't crank on them..