Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2002 Elantra GLS Fuse Troubles

Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Default 2002 Elantra GLS Fuse Troubles

My 2002 Elantra GLS (83,000 miles) has been having some weird issues that I haven't been able to figure out.

The ECM fuse (far left column of fuses, second row) inside the passenger compartment will occasionally blow just by turning the key to the first notch. This started in January when it blew one day, so I replaced it and haven't had any issues until today. I've changed the fuse four times this morning but it keeps blowing each time. The car will turn over, but will not start when this fuse blows. Obviously there is something else wrong causing the fuse to blow. Is it the ECM, fuel pump, some relay, something else?? Thanks!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 Elantra GLS Fuse Troubles

Sounds like a short somewhere. The fuse you describe is Fuse 10.

Fuse 10 drives the following:

. Cruise Control
. Stop Lamp Switch (for Cruise Control disconnect)
. TCS Switch
. Vehicle Speed Sensor
. ECM (Engine Control Module)
. TCM (Transmission Control Module)
. A/T Pulse Generators (A and B)

The vehicle speed sensor if you don't have ABS is located at the front right wheel. If a technician isn't careful when doing work around that wheel (for instance, when doing a brake job), the wire can become pinched and short out. I would start there. The second most likely culprit would be the auto transmission pulse generators (which measure transmission input and output speeds). Also, make sure there are no shorts near the brake switch (on the brake pedal).

My guess is that you have an intermittent short at one of those spots that's getting worse.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the information. We ended up having it towed to the local Hyundai dealerships (Gateway Hyundai in Fargo). After about four hours they traced the problem done to a worn down wire in one of the harnesses by the fuse box. Apparently the wire had been worn through on one of the dash supports.

Of course, being a dealership, they're trying to sell me on getting a whole big tune up package too. They want just under $1100 for timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc. I don't really think that's worth it, but I've never owned a foreign car so I have no idea.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to get a new timing belt for about $500 at a dealer, and the rest of that stuff sure doesn't double the price. The timing belt should be changed every 4 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.