Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2005 Elantra has bad driver's side door lock solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Default 2005 Elantra has bad driver's side door lock solenoid

Hello All,

I picked up a 2005 Elantra GLS I think, there were no markings on the car nor did it have an owner's manual, yesterday and it is a salvaged vehicle (flooded).

I had it checked out by two local shops and they said it was refurbished correctly. However, the driver's side power door lock doesn't work. The other 3 doors work fine. I have to manually push the lock closed and pull it open. The door key works fine. I was told at one of the local indedpendent shops that the solenoid is probably bad. I don't have a problem ordering one and fixing it myself. I've looked online this morning and can't find any diagrams on what to order. I think that I just haven't found the right online site yet.

Also, I got no key fob with this car. Is there a way to get a replacement? I'm guessing dealership has to do that. How do I know if my car has a key fob or not?

Thanks!

Karl G.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Default RE: 2005 Elantra has bad driver's side door lock solenoid

Hi Karl. Usually the dealer can run your VIN number to find out what the car came with. That way can can verify if your car came with the key fob or not and if so, program a new one for you. Because it was a flood damaged car, be prepared for electrical problems down the road. Usually the problems occur in the connectors to your wiring. Corrosion is the biggest problem. I recommend disconnecting as many connectors and harnesses as you can find, clean the connectors, apply anti corrosion grease, then reconnect. This will help make problems less likely in the future. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: cruiser69

Hi Karl. Usually the dealer can run your VIN number to find out what the car came with. That way can can verify if your car came with the key fob or not and if so, program a new one for you. Because it was a flood damaged car, be prepared for electrical problems down the road. Usually the problems occur in the connectors to your wiring. Corrosion is the biggest problem. I recommend disconnecting as many connectors and harnesses as you can find, clean the connectors, apply anti corrosion grease, then reconnect. This will help make problems less likely in the future. Good luck.
Cruiser,

Thanks for the tip. I took it in to the dealer today and they said it did come with a fob. So, I ordered two.

I did disconnect the cruise control wiring harness and it had no signs of moisture or corrosion, but it also had a nice rubber o-ring to keep out moisture.

I'll go over the connections this weekend and look for corrosion. I have some dielectric grease that I'll use on them too.

Karl

Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Another good thing. The dealer is going to replace the cruise control and door lock assembly under warranty. The parts will be in tomorrow.

Karl