Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2007 Elantra HVAC flicks on and off

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Default 2007 Elantra HVAC flicks on and off

I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue. I bought a brand new 07 Elantra in March or February of 07 and at about the 60,000 mile mark or so the A/C light would randomly come on no matter how I was using the climate system. Well, I got to paying closer attention and I started leaving the fan on full blast when I shut the climate system off. That's when I started to notice that about every two months the A/C and fan would flick on and off two or three times in a row when I had the system completely off. Alternatively the system will flick off and on when I'm actually using it, but I tend not to notice that unless I have the fan all the way up. I've been to two different dealers and they always say they can't reproduce the problem and all the electronics seem fine. I've tried to monitor factors when the issue occurs and it seems pretty random. It will happen shortly after I start the car or several hours in to an interstate trip. It will happen while I'm stuck in traffic both when I'm not moving and when I'm in between lights, but it will also happen at highway speed. I can't seem to figure it out and I'm getting worried because I'm down to less than 15,000 miles on my warranty.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, the 10y/100k mile warranty is only for the drivetrain (engine and transmission). Everything else is under the 5y/60k mile warranty. So if this problem with the HVAC system started after 60k miles, your warranty is already over.

Now, with that said, I had a similar problem with my 2006 Tucson. I replaced the entire control assembly in the dash. It was one unit that contained all 3 dials and is basically the brains of the system. It was an electronic issue that totally went away when it was replaced.

REPLACEMENT

1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.

2. After disconnect the mounting clip, remove the conter facia panel(A).

3. After loosening the mounting screw, remove the center facia lower panel(A).

4. Remove the heater & A/C controller (A) after loosening 4 screws.

5. Disconnect the connectors (A) from the center facia.

6. Installation is the reverse order of removal.

My advice, buy a used one off eBay. That's what I did. It was a fraction of the cost of a new one from the dealer.
Here are some in the $30-50 range:
Hyundai Elantra AC/Heater Control Panel 2007-2010 | eBay
07-10 HYUNDAI ELANTRA AC HEATER CLIMATE CONTROL OEM | eBay
07 08 09 10 Hyundai Elantra Heater Control Unit OEM LKQ | eBay

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-23-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 AM

Oh wow. Thanks for the speedy reply. I figured it must be some kind of silicon board issue. I just confused as to why none of the dealers suggested that fix. Ebay sounds like the way to go though. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

I can't guarantee that's the exact problem in your car but it was in mine.

I could hear the relays clicking under the dash every time the fan clicked on and off so I assumed it was electrical and figured the controller was the problem. I dealt with it for about a year while searching for a controller on eBay.

I figured it was cheap enough that if it didn't work, I wasn't out too much money and I could always put my original one back in and either keep the eBay one as a spare or resell it on eBay to get my money back.

Good luck with yours and I hope that solves your problem.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Hi. I know this is an old post, but does anyone have access to the pics that were posted above? Hello. My name is chris and i am new to this forum. I saw the post above on removal of the climate head unit but the photos posted are not available to view, and i am not sure how to remove the bottom clips of the unit. Do they slide out after removing the top screws or are they held in by other screws, and if so, how do i access them?
Thanks!
Chris