Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2008 Elantra check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Default 2008 Elantra check engine light

Looking for help. Newbie here. We have a 2008 elantra and the check engine light is on. We found the gas cap really loose and am wondering if the check engine light is supposed to clear or if we have to do it ourselves. Please help. Thanks

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Default Check engine light

Originally Posted by gekitch
Looking for help. Newbie here. We have a 2008 elantra and the check engine light is on. We found the gas cap really loose and am wondering if the check engine light is supposed to clear or if we have to do it ourselves. Please help. Thanks
The check engine light will most likely reset after a drive cycle. Listen for the 3 clicks when they tighten the cap...

Bill Dube

Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Drove it a few times and the light is still on. Wondering if its something else. Just thought this was the obvious answer. Thanks for replying!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 AM

You can try taking it to an auto parts store and have them connect a device that will read the error codes from the car's computer. They should be able to tell you whats wrong but expect them to try to sell you parts. they should do this for free

Old 01-29-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by gekitch
I had the same issue. However, my light is still on so I'm having another issue. It's supposed to clear on it's own. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:20 AM

Places like Autozone will get any codes from the computer for you at no charge. If you post the code(s) here we might be able to offer some assistance,worth a try.
Keep in mind the code doesn't always mean that part in the system is malfunctioning it only provides some direction where to start checking. Most of the time we can usually offer some good steps to take.
Sometimes they can clear the codes for you too. Then you can drive it and see if the code returns.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:39 AM
Default Still Looking for Help!

To all:
I have been trying to resolve a check engine light on my 2008 Elantra and have been through the ringer. The gas cap was first on the list and it was replaced twice, first by a OEM cap and then a Hyundai cap. I took it to Auto Zone and it came up with a code to replace the purge control valve. I also was having trouble starting the car up after getting gas. The purge control valve was replaced and the light came back on after driving 1 mile. I drove it 100 miles at the suggestion of an Auto Zone guy and he said the code should clear after that and you should have no trouble. The code did not clear and I had a mechanic at work clear the code again and the car didn't make it out of work's driveway before the code came on again. The car has 182,000 miles on it and it out performs half of the cars on the road today. I am not just saying that since I have owned the car since it was new. I no longer have trouble starting the car after getting gas. The light remains on. I don't want to spend a ton of money trying to trouble shoot. I know I have to do something by September. The inspection is due and it will not pass with a code on the dashboard. Has anybody been through this and have any suggestions? Thank you

Last edited by fpursino; 03-31-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 AM

Do you know the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)?
In form of PXXXX, that is a capital P with four numbers following
Probably something along the line of P0440

P440 just happens to be an Evap emissions code.
Had that on my Elantra. Tried for a year to fix.
Brought it to a mechanic several times
Replaced purge valve twice, vent valve once
It got so the mechanic didn't want to see me cause he couldn't fix my car.
I kept asking for a smoke test which would have found the problem but he didn't do it.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Something to keep in mind,
Monitors that run to keep tract of controls and functions have certain requirements before they will run. Some require a certain period of time , minimum miles run, engine RPM , no codes present and a few more. Sooooo, patience can help in some of these situations. Unless we do this particular situation every day we have to refresh what those requirements are . Sometimes they are called a "Drive Cycle" and even those differ depending on circumstances and conditions. This is sometimes why finding the cause of a code , making the repair and confirming the repair did the job can get so expensive and time consuming.
Also, just because we get a code for a certain system does not necessarily mean the particular part/system itself is defective. Suggest to do some research before getting a free code and possibly buying and replacing parts that may not be the cause of the problem. So much for the long winded explanation .There is no doubt , vehicles today are much more difficult to diagnose and repair than ever before. What do you think?