Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2008 Elantra - Doors Auto Locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Default 2008 Elantra - Doors Auto Locking

I'm suresome of you have experienced this scenario. When you use the key fob to unlock your 2008 Elantra, if you do not manually open one of the doors within 30 seconds, the doors re-lock. This is very annoying; I asked the dealer if there is a fix to the software to disable this function, but they are unaware of any TSB and/or notice from Hyundai. The dealer told me that many Elantra owners have expressed the same complaint, but they do not know how to change the door lock feature.

Also, my wife wants to buy a Sonata; the Sonata, as delivered from Hyunai,will automatically unlock all of the doors, with theengine running, whenthe driverswitches from Drive to Park. Both of us think this is an unsafe feature to unlock all of the doors, particularly for a woman driving to a shopping mall, where she would place the shift lever in park and maybe reach for her purse, phone, etc. If she leaves the car running during this time period, she is a target for someone who may want to commit a crime.

The dealer says they know how to "fix" the Sonata problem.........so why can't they fix the Elantra auto door lock issue.

Any help?

thanks
Cabral

Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2008 Elantra - Doors Auto Locking

The Elantra and Sonata are not the same car.. Yes, the Sonata can be changed but the Elantra can not.

Personally, I think you are paranoid. If you fear crime in a parking lot you shouldn't go to that shopping mall. Think about it, do you really think aperson wanting to commit a crime is going to change his mind just because your wife’s Sonata doors don't unlock when she puts it in park? He's just going to wait until she unlocks them herself.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: NovaResource

The Elantra and Sonata are not the same car.. Yes, the Sonata can be changed but the Elantra can not.

Personally, I think you are paranoid. If you fear crime in a parking lot you shouldn't go to that shopping mall. Think about it, do you really think aperson wanting to commit a crime is going to change his mind just because your wife’s Sonata doors don't unlock when she puts it in park? He's just going to wait until she unlocks them herself.

How do you fix this on the Sonata?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

It's something the dealer has to do with a scan tool.