Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2012 Elantra spare key acquisition

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Mae
Default 2012 Elantra spare key acquisition

I just purchased a 2012 Elantra (does not have the push botton start) and would like to purchase a spare key just to open the door. I am getting conflicting information if I can do this. Hyundia tells me that there is a chip in the key and if I try to use it, it will disable various systems in my car and they tell me to go to the dealer. However the dealer wants $12 for the key which I could get made elsewhere for about $2. Even the dealer is not sure about the chip and if it will work in the door. As I said I only want to be able the open the door in case I accidentally leave my keys laying inside the car. I know it will not start the car. Does anyone know if in the case of the 2012 Elantra if you try to use a key without a chip to unlock the door will it disable my car? I am not mechanical and I certainly do not want to do anything that would cause problems. Thank you.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Didn't you get 2 keys when you bought the car?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Mae

Yes, I did get 2 keys with the remotes. I keep one set at home. I would like to have another key that would just open the door that I could keep in the deep recesses of my purse at all times, just in case I would lock my original key in the car by accident. It would save a lot of trouble if I did not have to find someone to take me home for my key. The car I owned before had a touch pad on the outside of the door that I could touch a code into to open the door and that was very handy. Thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

First things, first. If the key has a chip it doesn't matter when it comes to unlocking the doors. That's only for starting the vehicle. If you try to start the car without the chip it just wouldn't start. Unlocking the door with a "chipped" key does not disable anything in the car.

Second, with the keyless entry system, you should just lock the car (and arm the alarm) with the remote. Locking the doors with the switch on the inside of the door, or with the key on the outside of the door does not arm the alarm. So it's very hard to lock your keys in the car if you make it a habit of locking the doors with the key fob after all the doors are closed. If, by chance you figure a way to lock your keys in the car when using the fob, unlocking the door with just the key will set the alarm off.

If you don't want to pay the dealer for a new key I'd suggest going to a local locksmith that does automotive locks. They have electronic equipment to 1. test to see of your key has a chip and 2. copy the chip signal and create a spare key for you with a new chip. That may (or may not) be cheaper than the dealer.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Mae

Thank you for your good advice. I am trying to program myself to lock the car with the key fob after I leave the car so obviously the keys will not be inside the car. It was just years of doing it from the inside with my old car that I had for 12 years and didn't have to worry about it because it had a key pad on the outside of the door. I am getting used to it. Will probably just go to the dealer for a key. I guess it's worth the extra cost. Thanks so much.