Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2018 Hyundai Elantra LED lighting advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Default 2018 Hyundai Elantra LED lighting advice

Hello, I have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL.

Recently I upgraded my exterior lighting (headlights, tail/brake lights, license plate, and reverse) to LED. The headlights are Opt7s and have capacitors that cancel out error messages for the car. The reverse/license plate lights don’t throw any error codes.

This brings me to the tail/brake lights. I am getting a “check brake light” message on my dash but ONLY when applying the brake pedal and ONLY when the headlights are on. Also, the other night for the first time, while the brake pedal was pressed in a drive thru for several minutes, the car started to give an error code for my high mounted brake light (3rd brake light).

Is there anything I can do besides installing resistors to fix this problem? I’m really against resistors because they have to be wired in and become very hot during braking.

I absolutely love the brightness of the LED lights though but I feel like I’m going to be forced to switch my tail/brake lights back to halogen if I can’t find another solution besides resistors. Are there any higher wattage LEDs that draw more power to not trigger the error code? Are there higher output halogens I could use to retain some of the brightness I’ll lose by switching back? Thanks for any help!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 PM

There may be a resistor block that you can mount to a large part of metal framework and utilizing a heat sink. It could require using heat sink compound to assist dissipating the heat where the resistor is mounted. Your best bet is to check with the lamp manufacturer and an electronics store that sells those parts.