Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/)
-   -   Another transmission problem (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/another-transmission-problem-7950/)

Bunklash 02-25-2010 07:43 PM

Another transmission problem

Doing a web search I've found the Elantra transmissions seem to have an awful lot of problems, but I'm finding no solutions. :confused: Half the time my 2000) won't shift from 3rd to 4th. Stop the engine, re-start and it's OK again. I also notice the RPM's seem to vary slightly while cruising at the same speed. I had codes read, they are 0743, 0745, 0765, and 1624. The first three are tranny control solenoids, the last is cooling fan circuit. It started a day after I drained and refilled tranny fluid (Hyundai brand).
Can anybody tell me anything I can check other than taking it to a shop. Can I get at the solenoids through the drain pan? I'm a competent mechanic, not afraid to tear into anything, but could use some guidance on where to start. :cool:
Thanks.

samkent 02-26-2010 11:19 AM

Another? I haven’t heard of anything unusual from the Elantra tranny. My daughter is driving my 99 (90K) and no problems.
But I will admit that I’m a bit afraid of messing with trannies. I delude myself into thinking if it ain’t giving me problems, why chance it. But that’s only with trannies. Everything else I side on a more proactive approach.

Maybe it’s my experience with my old Dodge minivan. I changed the fluid and filter and then it started giving me problems. Logic says it was just it’s time to fail. Heck they all failed.

Bunklash 03-05-2010 09:52 PM

Anybody???

sbr711 03-06-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bunklash (Post 26814)
Doing a web search I've found the Elantra transmissions seem to have an awful lot of problems, but I'm finding no solutions. :confused: Half the time my 2000) won't shift from 3rd to 4th. Stop the engine, re-start and it's OK again. I also notice the RPM's seem to vary slightly while cruising at the same speed. I had codes read, they are 0743, 0745, 0765, and 1624. The first three are tranny control solenoids, the last is cooling fan circuit. It started a day after I drained and refilled tranny fluid (Hyundai brand).
Can anybody tell me anything I can check other than taking it to a shop. Can I get at the solenoids through the drain pan? I'm a competent mechanic, not afraid to tear into anything, but could use some guidance on where to start. :cool:
Thanks.

Best to use HI-SCAN' Actuation test to verify solenoid operation... TSB calls out verify internal A/T wire harness not open/short.. You have bottom pan trans, so you need to remove pan, and valve body, as solenoids is on top of valve body towards the case

http://www.hmaservice.com/files/331/...0/0140011E.jpg

Did you happen to find remnants of a TORRINGTON roller brg in the oil pan ?

Bunklash 03-07-2010 01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply sbr711. I spoke to a transmission tech I found on Craigslist, he was very helpful. I haven't had time to do any more troubleshooting, but given the nature of the symptoms, he's convinced the internal mechanical portion is OK, that it's most likely an electrical connection problem. I tend to agree, and hope he's right. I can get a used TCM for about $60 off EBay. Meanwhile, when I get time, I'm going to check out all the wiring and connectors. The main connector plug to the tranny is falling apart..... brittle from heat. I'm determined to find this problem. I'll keep you posted. :)

Hytech 03-07-2010 08:21 PM

With those codes check the connector going to the trans. if it is ok then you probably have a bad ground inside the trans. it's been a few years sence I have worked on older elantras regularly but when I used to run into multiple solinoid codes on these transmisions I always found that the ground connection on top of the valve body was loose.

Hytech 03-07-2010 08:26 PM

I just saw the bottom of sbr711s post. If you find roller bearings in the pan pull the side cover and pull of the end clutch. If you see it is from that thrust bearing under the end clutch you can replace it easily it takes less than an hour to do in the car.

Bunklash 03-08-2010 05:06 PM

Thanks guys.
sbr711, No there were no bearings in the pan. All I found was a light coating of "dust" clinging to the bottom of the pan. No accumulation of metal on the magnets. More reason for me to believe what Hytek is confirming about an electrical problem.

Hyteck, sounds like what the guy from Craigslist told me. The ground wire in the tranny? Do I need to drop the valve body to get at it? Just hope I get time to work on it soon, maybe this weekend.

Sure appreciate the help,
Bunky jones

Hytech 03-09-2010 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it is on top of the valve body. PM me your email address and I'll send you a .pdf file with a step by step diagnosis and repair.

Bunklash 03-09-2010 06:57 PM

You betcha hytech, on it's way
THANK YOU! ;)