Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/)
-   -   Another transmission problem (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/another-transmission-problem-7950/)

Bunklash 02-25-2010 07:43 PM

Another transmission problem

Doing a web search I've found the Elantra transmissions seem to have an awful lot of problems, but I'm finding no solutions. :confused: Half the time my 2000) won't shift from 3rd to 4th. Stop the engine, re-start and it's OK again. I also notice the RPM's seem to vary slightly while cruising at the same speed. I had codes read, they are 0743, 0745, 0765, and 1624. The first three are tranny control solenoids, the last is cooling fan circuit. It started a day after I drained and refilled tranny fluid (Hyundai brand).
Can anybody tell me anything I can check other than taking it to a shop. Can I get at the solenoids through the drain pan? I'm a competent mechanic, not afraid to tear into anything, but could use some guidance on where to start. :cool:
Thanks.

samkent 02-26-2010 11:19 AM

Another? I haven’t heard of anything unusual from the Elantra tranny. My daughter is driving my 99 (90K) and no problems.
But I will admit that I’m a bit afraid of messing with trannies. I delude myself into thinking if it ain’t giving me problems, why chance it. But that’s only with trannies. Everything else I side on a more proactive approach.

Maybe it’s my experience with my old Dodge minivan. I changed the fluid and filter and then it started giving me problems. Logic says it was just it’s time to fail. Heck they all failed.

Bunklash 03-05-2010 09:52 PM

Anybody???

sbr711 03-06-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bunklash (Post 26814)
Doing a web search I've found the Elantra transmissions seem to have an awful lot of problems, but I'm finding no solutions. :confused: Half the time my 2000) won't shift from 3rd to 4th. Stop the engine, re-start and it's OK again. I also notice the RPM's seem to vary slightly while cruising at the same speed. I had codes read, they are 0743, 0745, 0765, and 1624. The first three are tranny control solenoids, the last is cooling fan circuit. It started a day after I drained and refilled tranny fluid (Hyundai brand).
Can anybody tell me anything I can check other than taking it to a shop. Can I get at the solenoids through the drain pan? I'm a competent mechanic, not afraid to tear into anything, but could use some guidance on where to start. :cool:
Thanks.

Best to use HI-SCAN' Actuation test to verify solenoid operation... TSB calls out verify internal A/T wire harness not open/short.. You have bottom pan trans, so you need to remove pan, and valve body, as solenoids is on top of valve body towards the case

http://www.hmaservice.com/files/331/...0/0140011E.jpg

Did you happen to find remnants of a TORRINGTON roller brg in the oil pan ?

Bunklash 03-07-2010 01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply sbr711. I spoke to a transmission tech I found on Craigslist, he was very helpful. I haven't had time to do any more troubleshooting, but given the nature of the symptoms, he's convinced the internal mechanical portion is OK, that it's most likely an electrical connection problem. I tend to agree, and hope he's right. I can get a used TCM for about $60 off EBay. Meanwhile, when I get time, I'm going to check out all the wiring and connectors. The main connector plug to the tranny is falling apart..... brittle from heat. I'm determined to find this problem. I'll keep you posted. :)

Hytech 03-07-2010 08:21 PM

With those codes check the connector going to the trans. if it is ok then you probably have a bad ground inside the trans. it's been a few years sence I have worked on older elantras regularly but when I used to run into multiple solinoid codes on these transmisions I always found that the ground connection on top of the valve body was loose.

Hytech 03-07-2010 08:26 PM

I just saw the bottom of sbr711s post. If you find roller bearings in the pan pull the side cover and pull of the end clutch. If you see it is from that thrust bearing under the end clutch you can replace it easily it takes less than an hour to do in the car.

Bunklash 03-08-2010 05:06 PM

Thanks guys.
sbr711, No there were no bearings in the pan. All I found was a light coating of "dust" clinging to the bottom of the pan. No accumulation of metal on the magnets. More reason for me to believe what Hytek is confirming about an electrical problem.

Hyteck, sounds like what the guy from Craigslist told me. The ground wire in the tranny? Do I need to drop the valve body to get at it? Just hope I get time to work on it soon, maybe this weekend.

Sure appreciate the help,
Bunky jones

Hytech 03-09-2010 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it is on top of the valve body. PM me your email address and I'll send you a .pdf file with a step by step diagnosis and repair.

Bunklash 03-09-2010 06:57 PM

You betcha hytech, on it's way
THANK YOU! ;)

Hytech 03-09-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bunklash (Post 27058)
You betcha hytech, on it's way
THANK YOU! ;)

You should have it!!

Bunklash 03-10-2010 07:50 AM

I got it! Spot on! Thank you.
To info others who may benefit, what hytech sent me was a TSB right out of the hmaservice pages that adresses the problem of a faulty ground that causes the very codes and symptoms I have. :D Should be an easy fix. I'll let you know.

hytech, I sure hope you stick around this forum, your expertise is invaluable.

Bunklash 03-11-2010 07:55 PM

:):):):):):):)

Ho boy am I a happy man.

Turns out it WAS the ground. The TSB says you should not be loosing 1/10th of a volt from the tranny housing to the negative battery cable...I was loosing a full volt. I cleaned the chasis ground cable from the batt. even though it seemed OK. I then pulled the air filter box to get at the large ground cable from the battery. It attaches to the bell housing of the Tranny right at about 12 oclock. Sure enough, it wasn't a good tight connection. Cleaned it and tightened it and Viola! Works as advertised.

My hat's off to you Hytech, you put me right on it!

Did I mention I'm happy? :):D:o:):D:o:):D:o:):D:o

Hytech 03-12-2010 07:10 AM

:D:D:DDarn you didn't even get to lay in a puddle of the red stuff.

JP4501 10-13-2011 01:30 PM

Transmission problem

Thanks to this post I have a starting point. I can only hope my problem is the same.

Bunklash 10-14-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JP4501 (Post 39887)
Thanks to this post I have a starting point. I can only hope my problem is the same.

Welcome to the forum. What year/model car and what are your symptoms? Maybe somebody here can put you right on the problem.

Good luck!:)

JP4501 10-18-2011 11:49 AM

Transmission problem

Thank you.
I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS. It has 202,550 miles and runs great. My transmission has a similar problem. I have checked the ground connection to the tranny and cleaned it up. I need to check the other ground in the tranny to verify that it is not loose.
If the ground has a good connection I can only hope my problem will go away.

Bunklash 10-19-2011 02:04 PM

JP4501, How'd it turn out?

JP4501 11-10-2011 10:11 AM

I found that I had a rusted tranny line that was connected to the radiator. It was rusted to the point that is was leaking, but looked attached. I put on a aftermarket trans cooler and the vehicle runs okay. I do notice that the transmission shifts @ 3500 rpm when going from 3rd to 4th. I hope that this is normal and not me being paranoid. I replaced the tranny lines at time of install for the cooler. I am hoping that I don't have to drop the pan to get to the negative connection located their. Any suggestions?

JP4501 11-10-2011 10:12 AM

Thanks to all for their post. It has helped me with my issue.

Bunklash 11-11-2011 09:55 PM

Glad to hear the good news!

JP4501 11-23-2011 12:53 PM

The car still runs pretty good for having 205,000 miles on it. It still has the small hesitation between gears 3 and 4. It gets up to 3500rpm then shifts.
Thanks again. Happy Holidays.

Hon-day04 12-16-2011 01:36 PM

Maybe ya'll could help.

2004 Elantra 115K miles

The other day I was out of town and was leaving to come home. I put the car in reverse and heard a "clunk" sound and the CEL came on. I drove to a gas station where I filled up and checked the oil and transmission fluid. All were good. I came home. I went to Advance Auto and got the CEL checked. It gave a P0750 and another code..don't have that one right now. Cleared the code and drove around that day. Everything was good. Transmission shifted ok, no weird noises.
It is my mother-in-laws car now, and the clunk noise happened to her the next day. I believe it is stuck in the 3rd gear fail safe also.
Code P0750 gives 3 possible solutions: Trans Solenoid, Wire harness, or TCM.

How can I tell which it is? The shotgun approach is way too expensive. I've also learned that there are 5 solenoids in the transmission.

And then some people suggest it a speed sensor...although I'm leaning toward the Trans solenoid from everything I've been reading /researching.

Hon-day04

Hytech 12-16-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hon-day04 (Post 40933)
Maybe ya'll could help.

2004 Elantra 115K miles

The other day I was out of town and was leaving to come home. I put the car in reverse and heard a "clunk" sound and the CEL came on. I drove to a gas station where I filled up and checked the oil and transmission fluid. All were good. I came home. I went to Advance Auto and got the CEL checked. It gave a P0750 and another code..don't have that one right now. Cleared the code and drove around that day. Everything was good. Transmission shifted ok, no weird noises.
It is my mother-in-laws car now, and the clunk noise happened to her the next day. I believe it is stuck in the 3rd gear fail safe also.
Code P0750 gives 3 possible solutions: Trans Solenoid, Wire harness, or TCM.

How can I tell which it is? The shotgun approach is way too expensive. I've also learned that there are 5 solenoids in the transmission.

And then some people suggest it a speed sensor...although I'm leaning toward the Trans solenoid from everything I've been reading /researching.

Hon-day04

Just Emailed you the TSB you asked for.
Jasen

JP4501 03-14-2012 10:50 AM

I had to break down and replace the transmission. It has given my car new life. 209,500 miles on it. It rides like new.

00ElantraGLS 04-17-2012 07:43 PM

I know this is an old thread but im trying anything and everything to get answers. Here is a thread i just posted about my 2000 Elantra. Hope someone can help

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/h...548/#post42775

bili77 06-23-2012 10:21 AM

2002 Accent 155 000 km

I drove and heard a "clunk" sound and the CEL came on. It gave a P0750 fault(Solenoid problem).When cleaned the code everything was good for the day,and the next morning "clunk" sound and the CEL came on again.
The problem seems same like those on Hon-day04

Could i ask for some help. Thank you!

Rando 10-25-2013 11:49 PM

Hey hytech

Originally Posted by Hytech (Post 27046)
Yes it is on top of the valve body. PM me your email address and I'll send you a .pdf file with a step by step diagnosis and repair.

Hey, any chance you can send me that PDF...I have a 2004...same issues.. Stuck in third...

earnhardtfam77 03-29-2016 11:54 AM

im having a similar issue, it happened about 6 months ago where i was on the freeway and the car downshifted harshly to third and was stuck in limp mode (would not shift). i shut the car off and then restarted it and it functioned properly after that. the problem did come back the very next time i drove it. i changed out the transmission fluid and filter and replaced the input speed sensor. the problem seemed to have went away for 6-7 months and after about 8-10k miles it happened again with the same codes..p0700 and p0755. and this isn't something that is happening everytime i drive the car its intermittently .could this be a bad ground or do you think its the b solenoid.

2007 elantra with 90k