Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Bad motor in radiator fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Default Bad motor in radiator fan

Not sure if I am posting this in the right location, but I am looking for information on bad motor in my radiator fan. I would like to try and fix this myself, if it is something with the level of a beginner. Any help/links will be appreciated.

Editing to put the correct information in the origin thread

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with over 90k miles. Currently my car overheats and the AC gets hot while idling, if we are driveing everything is fine only when stopped at a light, traffic, drive thru etc does the engine start to over heat and the AC gets hot. Took it to the dealership and they said we have a bad radiator fan motor. The strange thing is, we had this exact same problem a few months ago but that time the dealership said it was a fused thermostat.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Crossev; 05-18-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:32 PM

Could you provide some more information about your car and the reason you think it is the fan motor?
Model and model year, how many miles or km, symptoms of the problem.
Did you check the fuses?

Old 05-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by allegretto
Could you provide some more information about your car and the reason you think it is the fan motor?
Model and model year, how many miles or km, symptoms of the problem.
Did you check the fuses?
Sure, should have done that in the original. I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with over 90k miles. Currently my car overheats and the AC gets hot while idling, if we are driveing everything is fine only when stopped at a light, traffic, drive thru etc does the engine start to over heat and the AC gets hot. Took it to the dealership and they said we have a bad radiator fan motor. The strange thing is we had this exact same problem a few months ago but that time the dealership said it was a fused thermostat.

I don't want to shelve out the money this time if it is something I can fix

Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crossev
Sure, should have done that in the original. I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with over 90k miles. Currently my car overheats and the AC gets hot while idling, if we are driveing everything is fine only when stopped at a light, traffic, drive thru etc does the engine start to over heat and the AC gets hot. Took it to the dealership and they said we have a bad radiator fan motor. The strange thing is we had this exact same problem a few months ago but that time the dealership said it was a fused thermostat.

I don't want to shelve out the money this time if it is something I can fix
So, do you want to take out the old radiator fan motor and fix it??
Or replace the the radiator fan motor??

Personally, I would test the radiator fan by putting 12 volts and ground to the fan motor
If it doesn't work then replace the fan motor
If it works then it could be something else .. like the coolant temperature sensor
Once the actual fault is found then replace the part. Save on service charge of parts and labor.

My friend went to the dealer to replace brakes front and rear pads at the dealer.
Cost was a little over $700 dollars.
If he bought the pads at auto parts store and did it himself then the parts would have costed him $130 dollars.
Save partial of the parts cost and save all of the labor.

Last edited by avisitor; 05-17-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:54 AM

I just picked up the car from the dealership after the diagnosis. An here is exactly what is in the paperwork

" High Resistance in the cooling fan motor. *
Internal motor failure. Scanned vehicle for diagnostic trouble codes, found none. Found coolant level low, corrected fluid levels and continued to test vehicle. Activated cooling fans and found them to be inoperative. Removed cooling fan connector found 65 ohms of resistance. Specifics are 25 @90F. Found High resistance in cooling fan motor.

So, do you want to take out the old radiator fan motor and fix it??
Or replace the the radiator fan motor??
It depends which approach is best? Also, which approach can a novice perform.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM

65 ohms versus 25 ohms isn't a big difference.
However, dealers do have the factory scan tool which can turn on and test certain components like the radiator fan
If that is working right then probably easiest is to replace fan motor.

Start by knowing if your radio requires a code for activation since you will need to remove battery terminal (this prevents accidental short circuits and other issues)
Disconnect battery cable. Drain coolant, should be a drain screw at the bottom of the radiator. Remove radiator cap (top).
I only worked on my 2001 Elantra. So, not sure what else you need to do.
Remove air cleaner ducting to throttle body. Remove upper radiator hose.
Disconnect the fan motor electrical connector.
Mine was to remove the top screws holding the fan assembly and fan would slip up and out of the bottom seat.
On later models I think they put bolts on to hold it in on the bottom.
Bring fan motor into auto parts store or go to Hyundai parts dept with VIN.
Good luck.

Note: be careful not to hit the fins of the radiator.