Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Blown Head Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Default Blown Head Gasket???

Daughter's 04 elantra gls, over heated and discovered cracked radiator. replace the radiator and when you start the car coolant gushes out the radiator cap ( had the cap loose). Closed the cap tight and tried to start the car...before it would start I could hear the pressure build quickly at the radiator cap. Suspect the pressure build up is what cracked the radiator in the firs place. Is my suspension correct about a blown head gasket or could there be other reasons for this problem.

thanks
mark

Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MSeaman
Daughter's 04 elantra gls, over heated and discovered cracked radiator. replace the radiator and when you start the car coolant gushes out the radiator cap ( had the cap loose). Closed the cap tight and tried to start the car...before it would start I could hear the pressure build quickly at the radiator cap. Suspect the pressure build up is what cracked the radiator in the firs place. Is my suspension correct about a blown head gasket or could there be other reasons for this problem.

thanks
mark
Have you eliminated the thermostat as a possible cause or perhaps, although unlikely a collapsed hose to the radiator?

It could be the head gasket, I suppose. It could also be retarded timing such as might occur if the timing belt were worn out. But if only overheating were the problem you would be lucky. More often than not that leads to bent valves.

I'd check the thermostat and rule it out. You could also just remove it temporarily to see if that helps. Certainly I would let it cool down before you do any of this so you don't get scalded by the hot coolant.