Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Quarter Million Mile Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Default Quarter Million Mile Elantra

ok here's the short version... it has another 32k to go to reach that mark, but its getting close. it has 223,000 miles or so on it. How much longer is this engine expected to last? Should I change the oil in the manual transmission now? Pics will come soon...

and the long version...

I currently have a 1996 Elantra with over 220k miles on it. All the belts are new and it has new spark plugs along with a new clutch (yes its a 5 speed) oh and a new fuel filter. I am the 4th owner of this car (that i know of). My sister bought it back in 01 or 02... she drove it up until she got a Mitsubishi Galant back in about '06 or so. My grandfather had is since then until 2010 when he passed away. I've been driving it since. The car was used prior to my sister buying it.

Part two of its biography (lol)... My sister took pretty good care of it, mostly used it for going to school and then gave it to my grandfather after she got her Mitsu. Well my dad used it for a daily driver and for paper delivery when he had it. Since his deliveries were at night, he's had a few run ins with deer. The car has been hit 3 times by deer. Once on the passenger side fender, and twice on the driver side front area... bumber, headlights, hood... all damaged. Even some slight bending of the frame around the driver side headlight. Also, one day while he was taking me to work, the car was ... bumped... by an 80s model Cadillac. since then the trunk doesn't quite line up well with the body and the right tail light has constant issues.

The car has been on a few road trips... once to New Orleans, once to New York, another time to Myrtle Beach, and then somewhat closer to a military base near Savannah, GA. All of which starting near the Athens, GA area.

Now as far as driving habbits... both me and my sister like to... how can i put it... at least go the speed limit (maybe 5 or 10 over lol). We both accelerate fast and are usually the in that crowd of drivers that's passing most everyone on the freeway but not going at insane speeds. We also like to have fun with the 5 speed, downshifting to pass, etc. But no burnouts or drifting lol. We're also not afraid to "take an opening" or a sharp turn. We're both pretty good at knowing the limits of what we drive. My grandfather for the most part was your average driver.

as far as maintaining it goes, we've always kept oil levels tops and relpaced the basics when needed, like belts, spark plugs, gas filter, etc. and fixed most problems as they come up.., as for mods.. the only real mod is that a friend of mine pretty much gutted out the insides of the Cat. converter. it also had an aftermarket AIWA head unit 45x4w and 2 6x9s in the rear "walmart brand 150watt peak each) and w/e is in the front doors.

The things that i know it still needs are tires (normal), it needs a transmission mount,... the one on the end on the driver side, and maybe one motor mount, middle closest to the firewall. although it has a new air filter, it could probably use another due to radiator fluids leaking. it has a new valve cover gasket also. I'm still trying to figure out whats up with "cylender 3". I've had the guys at Autozone do their diagnostic test on it a few times and it points to an issue with cyl. 3. Can't remember the exact problems atm. something to do with misfiring I think. The check engine light does stay on. I have changed the plugs since though. anyways i know it does need a new radiator... the plastic top on the radiator is leaking. its towards the front just above where it connects to the aluminum radiator. Its not a very fast leak but it is getting worse over time. I currently have some aluminum tape over the crack and that seems to be slowing it down some. I'm not sure when the water pump or the timing chain have been replaced, if at all.

well i typed all that up to give you an idea of the history of this 1/4 million mile car so you can help me answer a couple questions.

1... How much life is left in this engine mileage wise?
2... I know manual transmission must have some type of oil... when should it be replaced and with what type?
3... other things i need to look at?

Thanks! I'll upload some pics of the car soon.

Last edited by xBruce88x; 11-23-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM

^bump

Anybody?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

1. The engine will last as long as you take care of it
2. The trans fluid should be changed about every 60,000 miles. So it should have been changed about 4 times already.
3. Has the timing belt even been changed?

Last edited by NovaResource; 12-27-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 AM

I do my best to keep the oil full, air filter, oil filter, etc.

thanks for the info on the trans fluid... i don't think its ever been changed honestly.

the timing belt was changed about 3 months ago.

a couple other questions, what would cause the vents inside to only work well when set to defrost? also, will an exhaust leak cause any engine damage over time?

sorry for the late response, been a while since i've had this laptop running, and it has the pw stored on it lol. i'll try to have some of those pics i mentioned today if everything dries out a little (just got a lot of rain... still raining actually)

Last edited by xBruce88x; 12-27-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Default Pics

I couldn't afford the $90ish for a new one, so i just got a couple $5 yellow marker LED lights from walmart and wired them in

Bambie hates my car. 223k miles does a number on the paint job.

More faded paint. It still has the original hub caps... all 4 surprisingly.

I'm also surprised all the emblems are still on this thing. The rear window has been replaced, although they did a poor job on the seal. It doesn't leak though so that's a plus. The trunk has never really lined up well ever since we got bumped by an old 80s model Caddie. The right taillight likes to short out a lot... causing me to get pulled over... no tickets yet though.

Trim line is still there. The interior is in fairly decent condition... as is the stereo system haha, though it could use an HD Radio upgrade. The rear windows won't roll down anymore...

and here's a short vid http://youtu.be/X8ajrQE2Tc0

Attached Thumbnails Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_17-23-09_142.jpg   Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_14-09-39_577.jpg   Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_14-09-01_265.jpg   Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_14-09-12_516.jpg   Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_14-09-22_914.jpg  

Last edited by xBruce88x; 01-01-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Time to replace that leaky radiator and exhaust manifold! Here's the "before" pic.

^ well none of the junkyards around here had any decent parts, so i ordered a new-ish radiator that's being shipped from Louisiana. I'll probably just try to find someone that can patch that hold on the exhaust instead of replacing it, the radiator cost more than i was expecting. I'll update this in a few days (3 or so) when i get the radiator

Attached Thumbnails Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_17-19-18_374.jpg   Quarter Million Mile Elantra-2011-12-31_17-22-17_637.jpg  

Last edited by xBruce88x; 01-03-2012 at 05:03 PM.