Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Ebrake light comes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Default Ebrake light comes on and off

My '03 Elantra is about to hit the big 50,000 mark. Now everything that is anything is starting to go on it, with the latest victim being the eBrake. The light goes on when I hit the accelerator, then goes off when I hit the brake pedal. The ebrake itself does not seem to want to work either. I tested it on a side street, going less than 10 mph and the car basically stopped without the ebrake. The ebrake itself does not click either. The actual brakes themselves seem fine. Any guesses to the problem?

I am thinking it is near time to retire the car permanently. This year I have replaced brake lines, speed sensors, radiator, power steering lines and now something with the ebrake...

Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

First, the light is not just for the parking brake, it is also for the entire braking system. If the master cylinder dies or is low in fluid, the light will go on. Since you said the light flashed when you accelerare and decelerate, my guess is the master cylinder is low on fluid and is sloshing back and forth causing the light to go on.

I'd suggest checking the fluid level in the master cylinder.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM

I will check that in a few as I have a spare bottle of brake fluid on hand. I had my lines replaced over the summer, as the old ones were rotting out and leaking. I wonder if there is another leak, perhaps from the master cylinder...

Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM

OK, the resevoir did appear to be low, so I filled it with fresh fluid. I drove around a bit and the light no longer come on. But I wonder how so much evaporated in a few months time? Perhaps a leak in the master cylinder, I wonder? However, the ebrake still does not want to stay locked up and the car still moves even when I lift the ebrake. The car is due for an inspection tomorrow so I shall have them look at this...

Old 10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Brake fluid is not supposed to evaporate because it's in a sealed system. However, the fluid in the master will drop as the brakes wear. So my guess is there is either a leak and/or the brakes are worn. That could explain the non-functioning parking brake.