Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra Smart Key

Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Default Elantra Smart Key

This is applicable only for the Limited with Tech Package, which I believe is the only version with the smart key. Does anyone know how to turn off the engine while keeping the Accessory mode on? In other words, be able to turn off the engine and still keep the radio on like every other car with a key? I test drove the Ford Focus with smart key and when you turned its engine off, the radio stayed on until you opened the door. Not so with Elantra. Unless someone knows a solution? I'd hate to waste gas just cause I still want the radio on for a bit before I exit the vehicle.

Also, any ideas how you would start the engine if smart key battery is completely dead? There is a key you can pull out, but I don't see where that could be inserted to start engine.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Ok, so further reading and testing has answered one of my own questions. If you want to keep Accessories on when turning off the engine, don't put the car in Park. Try putting in Neutral, pressing the engine start/stop button to stop engine and the radio will stay on. Then you have to turn back to On to move into Park. But be careful not to have your foot on brake or else you'll turn the engine right back on again. Clunky, but it's a solution.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Pages 5-8 and 5-11 of your owners manual:

Attached Thumbnails Elantra Smart Key-2012-elantra-5-8.jpg   Elantra Smart Key-2012-elantra-5-11.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 AM

Looks like the only way to move the car if the smart key battery is completely dead, destroyed, or lost is to call a tow truck. I'm sure the manual's suggestion to press the start button with the smart key will only work if there's still some juice left in the battery. I guess the lesson is don't let the battery get that low and don't lose it. Someone told me that other Hyundai models with smart key actually allow you to use the embedded physical key to start the car using a secondary key receptacle for emergencies.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Sonatas have a key dock in the center console. Not sure about the Elantra.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Default Elantra sport

Originally Posted by takeitdown
This is applicable only for the Limited with Tech Package, which I believe is the only version with the smart key. Does anyone know how to turn off the engine while keeping the Accessory mode on? In other words, be able to turn off the engine and still keep the radio on like every other car with a key? I test drove the Ford Focus with smart key and when you turned its engine off, the radio stayed on until you opened the door. Not so with Elantra. Unless someone knows a solution? I'd hate to waste gas just cause I still want the radio on for a bit before I exit the vehicle.

Also, any ideas how you would start the engine if smart key battery is completely dead? There is a key you can pull out, but I don't see where that could be inserted to start engine.
You can push the button once after shutting off and it will turn on the radio without starting ur car but it drains the battery if you don't have a good one... Unfortunately you can only jump the car off because it's push to start if ur fob isn't working until you replace the battery but ur alarm will go off.