Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra squealing like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Default Elantra squealing like crazy

Hi new here. I have a 2001 elantra with around 200,000 miles on it. In the past I was hearing a squealing noise when I turned the wheel hard right or left as soon as I straighten the wheel noise was gone. I got used to this and did not think anything of it. Recently I started hearing a high pitched squeal when I started the car in the morning. I would drive, forget about it and by the time I got to work the noise was gone. Now the car squeals incredibly loud when I start and continues throughout the drive. During acceleration and at idle. When I get to work which is about a fourty five minute drive the squeal only happens when I accelerate not at an idle. After the car has been parked and I return the squeal is there from idle and here we go again. Seems like it is getting progressivley worse. I looked at the belts, they look good and were changed probably about fifty to sixty thousand miles ago, timing belt and water pump too. What do you guys think is the problem is it just time for new belts again or is my water pump, alternator or something else going out. It seems to be coming from around the water pump area not the alt or power steering, kind of more toward the fire wall not the radiator. Let me know I am going to tackle this thing tomorrow and I don't want to waste my whole day doing something I shouldn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM

Since you said "belts" in the plural, I'm going to assume you don't have a serpentine belt, rather the older style V belts.. one for power steering, one for the alternator, and another for AC (if you have it). Sounds like a classic case of a loose belt. Its probably the power steering belt, but check them all. Check the deflection of the belt along the longest run between pulleys. The deflection is the distance the belt travels when you push down on it. It should be about 1/4" if the distance between pulleys is between 7" and 11", and 1/2" if that distance is 12" to 16". Good luck!