Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/)
-   -   engine vibration (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/engine-vibration-5548/)

jack 01-11-2009 06:56 PM

engine vibration

Hi,
My 2001 elantra with 90k miles on it started giving a bit vibrations from engine when its standing idle. (When cold the vibrations are more)
They are not much, but surely noticeable. Also within the car it feels like its shaking a bit and does not feel comfortable like it was a year back.
I had changed my oil around 5k miles back.

What could be the reasons?

jsinton 01-11-2009 07:04 PM

RE: engine vibration

So do you always let your motor oil go 5k? I wouldn't. That could be the problem. The other thing is that motor mounts get sloppy and the motor will vibrate.

Anyway, try changing your oil more often.

NovaResource 01-11-2009 07:24 PM

5k isn't bad if it's synthetic. I use Mobil1 and change it every 5k miles.

jsinton 01-11-2009 07:54 PM

Mobil1 is only about 10% synthetic. Even 100% synthetic only lasts about 25% longer than regular stuff. The question is: Is it dirty?

Synthetic oil is great if you live in Northern Canada or drive 150 mph all the time, but otherwise there is no advantage. Car manufacturers still recommend a service interval, anything less voids the warranty. Also synthetic gets contaminated and dirty just as fast, which is the real reason you have to change your oil.

I would buy the Walmart Super Tech stuff if I were to go synthetic, the service ratings are higher, and it's cheaper. But I'm really cheap, so I get regular Walmart Super Tech, and change it when it's dirty at 3k.

But anyway, you are complaining about vibration, so there's other things that can make it vibrate, like when's the last time you did a tune up? When was the timing belt replaced? How many miles do you have? And most important, what condition are your motor mounts in?

NovaResource 01-12-2009 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: jsinton

Mobil1 is only about 10% synthetic. Even 100% synthetic only lasts about 25% longer than regular stuff.
LOL! You really need to educate yourself on synthetic oil. You are 100% mis-informed.

jsinton 01-12-2009 07:31 AM

Don't believe me then, look it up yourself.

NovaResource 01-12-2009 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: jsinton

Don't believe me then, look it up yourself.
No, I don't believe you because I have looked it up myself.

5000 miles on synthetic is on the LOW end of the scale. In reality, most quality "standard" oil can do 5000 miles with ease. There are people who go 10-15K miles on synthetic with no problems shown in oil analysis tests. I would never go that farbut it's been done.

You are incorrect about Mobil1 only being 10% synthetic. It is a full synthetic.
You are incorrect about synthetic oil only lasting25% longer than standard oil.

Learn more:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

jack 01-17-2009 10:22 AM

Hello All,
I tried two mechanics to take opinions. He said the noise is coming from water pump. My first mechanic changed the water pump/transmission belt. No effect!!!.

Waited for a week. Then went to onother mechanic. He noticed coolant is leaking. We could figure out the leak is one of hose.
But he said that the lean is not much to dry out collant in 15 days (300 miles).
He said its Head gasket Leakk. The machine is misfiring ........:((
(Reason given: I had placed new spark plugs about 15 days back. The spark plugs still were white. They should be brown. Unless
there is a collant leak in the cylender.)
He said its a junk car noww... No need to diagnose.

Jack J Iaria 01-17-2009 12:25 PM

Jack,

Slight Vibration in the engine when it's cold could be because the engine is slightly misfiring!

Crap in the fuel system, especially the injectors, can cause various degrees of misfiring! When it's cold it takes the gunk, especially carbon buildup, longer to dissolve.

If you haven't been maintaining the fuel system,never used fuel system cleaner and have 90,000 miles your rough idle could very well be from dirty fuel and fuel system buildup.

I WOULD TRY A "TOTAL FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER" !!!! It's not a big investment and may work especially if you've never used any! I use a good fuel system cleanerevery time I change my oil. My Hyundai Elantra 2000 GLS has been good to me. It has 205,000 miles on it has been in three accidents. I use standard oil and only change it every 7,000 miles or so! Remember to read the cleaners' instructions and use it as directed!

Again, if you've never used fuel system cleaner and have almost 100,000 miles, I would try a $10 fuel system cleaner repeatedly before I take it to any mechanic that isn't a personal and dear friend but that's just me!

Jack J. Iaria

jack 01-18-2009 08:36 PM

It seems the noise problem is increasing.
The shake is felt when in park. It increases a bit when in drive mode. (The sound comes like tak tak tak.. and car vibrates.)
When the speed increases from 0 to 30Mph engine makes acceleration noise.
The car noise decreases when on constant speed. (However some noise stills comes. Like motor is not smooth.)

Can all these still happen due to misfire due to head gasket leak?
These changes in the noises happened within just in couple of weeks. I am afraid that the problem is escalating.