Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Is fuel pump available without module?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Default Is fuel pump available without module?

I have a 2001 Elantra GLS. I replaced the entire in-tank fuel pump module in the Spring with one from AutoZone. It seems to have failed as the car is experiencing the same symptoms as before replacing the pump. It intermittently loses power and then stalls. Sometimes she'll start right up. Other times it takes an hour or so before she starts again. Using starter fluid, she starts and dies after a few seconds. Naturally, I cannot find my receipt for the replacement module, so will be paying again. Do I have to buy the entire module or can I just get the pump component? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 PM

the pump is available separately.... but is the pump goes down there will be no starting it back up..... better check some other things also, maybe the relay is acting up causing the problem you are havin.... is there any check engine lite on?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks, Mike. Sometimes I get a CEL, others not. My cheap scanner shows there is a code but doesn't identify it. The car is behaving just like it did before I replaced the fuel pump in the Spring. Intermittent loss of power, usually followed by a shutdown. Starts again after sitting anywhere from five minutes to two hours. The fact that it starts (and runs for a few seconds) with starter fluid makes me doubt a relay problem. So, I can just change the actual pump component out of the assembly? Certainly less expensive to go that route.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Something like a poor connection in the fuel pump circuit could produce similar symptoms. It could be possible that when replacing the original pump you moved the connections enough to temporarily make the problem disappear.
A good move would be to check and confirm that power and ground connections are good , clean and tight before getting into changing what could be a good fuel pump.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:49 AM

Thanks, Hanky. Will do.