Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Got my spare dount for my new 2011 elantra

Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Default Got my spare dount for my new 2011 elantra

Just picked my special ordered spare dounut, jack, bar, and wrench. The hold down clamp is on order. Will have on Wednesday. Got everything from Turnersville Hyundia in NJ. Purchased the car there in January. The service manager was very helpful in getting these parts for me. I found out the Elantra's in Canada come with the spare tire set up. Anyone have a picture of how everything gets clamp down in the trunk?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM

I don't have a picture, but can you post part numbers? My dealer looked and found zip.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried looking in your owners manual?

Pages 6-12 and 6-13:

Attached Thumbnails Got my spare dount for my new 2011 elantra-2011-elantra-6-12.jpg   Got my spare dount for my new 2011 elantra-2011-elantra-6-13.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM

I have seen several ads for the 2011 Elantra Touring SE that hace a compact spare. The tire size is the same as the Limited. Maybe the spare for the SE is the same. Also found this:

http://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/files/n...bility_kit.pdf

Last edited by inspector710; 03-31-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by paulgg1
Just picked my special ordered spare dounut, jack, bar, and wrench. The hold down clamp is on order. Will have on Wednesday. Got everything from Turnersville Hyundia in NJ. Purchased the car there in January. The service manager was very helpful in getting these parts for me. I found out the Elantra's in Canada come with the spare tire set up. Anyone have a picture of how everything gets clamp down in the trunk?
How did you get them to do that? My dealership claims no.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by adamhyundai
Be concerned about the tiny lug wrench unable to take off the lug nuts even if you stand on it.
Wall hanger

I bought an 18" pipe and a 42" foot pipe at the close by Home Depot from your Turnersville Hyundai. They fit over the tiny lug wrench so gives me a 2 foot or almost 4 foot advantage if some yahoo tightened the wheel nuts to 150 foot pounds or so. The pipes were 1/2" diameter from the plumbing in Home Depot and ran about $15. Acts like a breaker bar now. I put the pipes way in the back of the trunk where they fit nicely.
Why not hit the tool truck/LOWES/Sears for a std 1/2 drive breaker bar and a 21mm six point socket... most come with warranty, unlike a piece of pipe...

What's annoying is the lug nuts are around 20mm and all the lug wrenches are 21 mm. Next size is 19 mm.
Std hex on Hyundai is 21mm

The dealer cannot get the specific information about how to put back that scissors jack and lug wrench and the little handle for the jack? I'm sorry I'm not of much help. I just threw them in a box in the trunk and some warm afternoon when I'm bored I'll figure out how they fit back on that cover upside-down.
Go to dealer, and look in trunk of new Elantra on the lot... take a nice picture too..
Buy the right tools, and not hurt your self with improper equipment

Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by paulgg1
I put mine together tonight. The compact spare tire goes in upside down, with the holddown bolt screwed throught the center hole. The styrofoam insert with the jack, handle, and wrench compartments fits down in the center of the spare tire. the cardboard trunk insert goes in last.

The spare still holds 60 psi and the wheel torque is only 79 foot pounds.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Buy the right tools, and not hurt your self with improper equipment
That's good advice. I had mentioned the wrench at Walmart for $14 which is made specifically for this. The wrench extends to 22" and has 4 sockets to take off lug nuts. And this wrench has the weight and heft of your breaker bar. An inexpensive but correct tool.

My original post got canned because I posted two posts too quickly so thanks for quoting me.

About the 21mm. I measured it with a caliper and my lug nuts were 20mm. It could be the caliper was cheap, like my pipe wrench idea, but there is some play there. Not much. But all the tire wrenches have some play and I suspect it's because of that 1 or almost 1 mm disparity. The tire wrenches are mostly odd sizes, 17 19 21 maybe 22 or 23mm, I forget the usual 4th size. They do this to coincide with the SAE English comparable equivalents in inches, I gather.

I did look at some hex or six sided sockets that were 20 mm which would work well with your idea. Thanks, Adam.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 PM

Hey paulgg1,
What was the cost for everything? I don't like the idea of driving out in the middle of nowhere without a spare?
Thanks

Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 AM

I spent $32.0 for the wheel and $70.00 for the tools, jack and styrofoam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my spare dount for my new 2011 elantra