Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

EVAP Do I need A New PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Default EVAP Do I need A New PCM?

So I bought myself a 2002 Elantra to replace my totalled Accent and three days in my CEL comes on P0441 EVAP Purge Flow Incorrect. First I replaced the gas cap at the suggestion of the man at the parts store. Next I checked the vacuum lines and the electrical connections and they all looked to be in good order. Then I replaced the Purge Control Solenoid Valve and when I took the old one off I couldn't help notice that it was stuck open while the new one was closed just as the one in my Accent defaulted to being closed. Figuring this was the problem I installed the new one and cleared the light only for it to come back on 55 miles later. I then moved to the back of the vehicle where I noticed that the bracket holding up the assembly for the vapor canister was rusted and hanging down in the rear which solved a thumping noise I had been hearing when I stopped quickly after reversing. I pulled the whole thing off and broke a rusted vapor tube in the process which I am now waiting to come in to the dealership Wednesday morning.

As I am not good at waiting around I had a hunch to move back to the front of the vehicle. I took a second look at my new PCSV and noticed that it was also now stuck in the open position so I'm now thinking perhaps the problem lies with my PCM. Does this sound accurate? Is there anything else I might be missing? I'm running out of time to get the vehicle inspected and I'd really like to move on to other aspects of maintaining a newly purchased used car. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Ken (First time poster, long time viewer)