Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

TPMS Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Default TPMS Lights

hey everyone,

i have been scouring the internet to try to find the answer to this question and thought that someone here might have the answer.

"when there is a problem with the TPMS sensor, does the TPMS light stay lit SOLID or does it flash/blink"

i ask this because i have a 2009 elantra gls and plan on getting some rims for summer tires (stock is steel rims on my model) TPMS sensors are expensive to buy, and seems like they are a fortune to program, and i hate going to the dealer for something as simple as a tire change/rotation.

it is looking like i may just buy some aluminum rims and tires and not install TPMS sensors all together. this will in turn cause the TPMS lights to come up on the dash. If it is solid, i can probably deal with it. if it is blinking i will need to think of some other solution (like installing all 4 tpms sensors in the spare tire).

ALSO. if the TPMS sensors are NOT present in the car will any other consequences occur? i thought i read vaguely on the internet that if the TPMS sensor is not present / malfunctioning that the traction control on the car is affected. any idea if this is true?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

There are 2 lights for the TPMS system:
- the (!) light is on when one or more of the sensors indicates low tire pressure.
- the TPMS light is on when there is a problem with the system.

I have 2 sets of wheels for my Tucson. One set are 18" wheels from a Veracruz with summer tires and the original TPMS sensors. I drive on those wheels 9 months out of the year. My other set of wheels are the original 16" Tucson wheels with snow tires and no sensors (the system can only be programmed with 4 sensors, max). I drive on these the other 3 months of the year. For those 3 months, the TPMS light is on (solid, not blinking) showing a problem with the system because it does not get a signal from the sensors. There is no problem driving this way. The ABS and traction control works perfectly. When the winter is over and I swap the 18" wheels back on, the system reads the sensors and the TPMS light goes out.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Default Cool

so it sounds like i will be doing the same thing as you. i will turn the FACTORY wheels into my winters (4 months of the year my TPMS light will be on) and i will put the TPMS sensors from my original wheels into the new rims.

its going to cost a fortune in re balancing lol 2 rebalancing fees. aw well,

Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 AM

You may study the ATEQ QuickSet DIY TPMS tool.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Default wow

cool toy! im sure it is the best tool for the job (price wise) but i think out of rage and spite i am just going to leave the light on. every aspect of TPMS enrages me, and quite frankly, i just want out.

going to buy the wheels and tires from the dealership tomorrow and have the sensors taken out of my old tires, and put into my new rims/tires.