Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

03 Elantra vibrates around 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Default 03 Elantra vibrates around 65mph

Put new tires all around and noticed vibration at 65mph. Re-balanced to no avail. Had mechanic check axles and replaced long and short ones in front in and also replaced one wheel that was more out of around than the rest and still have vibration. Had car on lift without tires and have vibration around 65mph. Took to Hyundai and mechanic said vibration without tires normal, re-balanced again and still have vibration. Mechanic also said since car so light, will take awhile to settle tires in and rotate after about 3-5K. Just rotated and snowy here so did not get up to 65mph but will be shocked if vibration goes away since it was there right before rotating. Thoughts??? Left part out about having reputable transmission guy drive and he said car seems fine. Wondering if just supposed to live with this? It is daughter's car and she is at school and miles mostly at low speeds so not totally annoying at this point. HELP!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM

My first thought would of been tire balance. But as a mechanic myself I have seen vibration with brand new tires and perfect balance. Should be fine. Elantras are always vibration sensitive.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Have you tried rotating the tires, to see if there's any change? Sometimes tires will develope vibration if there's an internal flaw, like cord movement, that will not show up on a standard balancer. Ask the shop if the have a "road force balancer" type machine. On those, there's a arm with a roller that simulates the wieght of the car, while the balance. On those, you can see if there's movement in tire cords, or internal damage. Are the tie rods and ball joints nice and tight? 9 times out of 10 it's caused by tires or bent rims.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Had mechanic put hours into front end and tie rods and ball joints tight. Firestone has some exclusive balancer I was going to try but it was well over $100 and they had only used it a couple of times. Interestingly, seemed balance was always changing as Goodyear where I bought tires re-balanced 2 or 3 times. Hyndai mechanic rebalanced and guaranteed the problem would be resolved since balance was off....it wasn't. Is it normal for for car to vibrate with tires off? It was at same speed as when get vibration on road. Wondering if that is problem or tires somehow make it worse. Goodyear originally offered to replace all 4 tires and backed out. Wish they would have done it so I at least can eliminate tires from issue.

Thanks for your help.

Tdi

Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 AM

I did rotate yesterday but roads were very bad here so didn't get it up to speed. Have problem with heater vent controls that I am going to look at today so hoping to take it for a test drive when I get car. It is my daughters who never stays in one place for long but heading back to college tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Hunter 9700 balancer for Road Force Variation inspection of tires..

Do a search online and it will lead you to a site that has shops equipped in your area with this machine that can inspect your tires for excess RFV.

We bought a set of Firestone LH30,, stupid tires needed balance everytime we turn around.. like the tires/cords kept moving.. finally settled, tires now 7yr old, ready for replace for age and rot, still gots plenty of tread.

Make sure the ding dongs doing a 2 plane balance, machine is calibrated today, floor clean under the machine, and do a bullseye balance with weight set to grams if they have gram measured weights on hand.

Last edited by sbr711; 01-09-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM

On my old car, I purchased a lifetime rotate and balance from Discount Tire for $50, even though I didn't buy the tires from them, it was a good deal. That car came with crappy Continental tires that also had issues with cord movement, starting around 30k miles. Discount Tire used that force balancer machine after I returned a couple of times with the same tire balance issue, and they didn't charge me extra. That solved "most" of the issue, until I bought new tires. They even did all 4 tires on the force balancer without charging extra. Another issue that can cause balance issues is if the guy who mounted the tire is an idiot, and dosen't bother to match up the high spot in the tire with the low spot in the rim, that will cause a vibration, and a low speed thump/shudder. I'm probably going to buy the lifetime balance from Discount Tire again for this car, save myself a fortune over the life of the tires, although I don't like these tires that came on these cars. I'll probably wait a year to buy better tires for this car, kinda pointless buying new tires for a new car.

Last edited by austex04; 01-09-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Car going back to College 5 hrs away so looks like it will have to hold. Appreciate input. Interestingly, a tech who was test driving with me when I was originally having the problem said he has same tires and balances weekly!!! Wish I had never bought the tires.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Default Vibrates at 65

Hi

Had what sounds like same problem with 2002 Elantra-after alot of mechanic labor.The problem was diagnosed as a severely bent rim causing the tires not to balance correctly. Went to auto salvage lot picked up rim, put tire back on/balanced had no issue ever since-hope this helps out My daughter is in college also and are known to sometimes drive over/up curbs which will bend the rim.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 AM

I replaced one wheel but did not help. Wondering if another is a little off. Daughter said it did not vibrate as much and wondering if tires are "settling in". Hyndai mechanic said part of problem is car is so light and predicted that driving with alot of weight would eventually work itself out. Wondering if that is what is happening. Also, wondering if tread movement in normal is this model of Goodyear? One tech said he re-balances his same set weekly! Wondering if Collegmike is on to something as well. Elantra's are vibration sensitive!