Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Low beams keep blowin

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Default Low beams keep blowin

I have a 2001 Elantra with 195,000mi. Still gettin over 30 mpg. Average of 70,000 miles on the Mich tires and no major problems. Changed my first timing belt at 128,000 mi. and had the dealer save it for me. It looked like it just came out of the box. The only complaint I have about the car is all the low beam lamps that I replace in the course of a year. I go through 3 to six low beam lamps a year on this car left and right sides. One would think the electrical system might be the problem, but no other bulbs on the car have been replaced since I got it. I've talked with other Hyundai owners who have had similar problems. I think it's the slyvania bulbs that are the problem, but can't find to many other replacements. Any suggestions out there or anyone with similar problems.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Low beams keep blowin

Have you spoken to the dealer about this issue? As I recall, there was some kind of issue with early XD Elantras like yours relating to the headlamp auto off/on feature such that if you leave the lights on when the car is started, there is a power surge that shortens bulb life, or something like that. Maybe even a Technical Service Bulletin about it. Even if you're out of warranty, if the TSB applies to your car, there may be something the dealer can do for free.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:05 PM

Hi Doohickie,
The dealer was the first place I asked. They just looked at me and shook their heads and said they haven't heard of any such problem. It's bothered me ever since I got the car and I just put up with it until a woman that I worked with mentioned that her Tiberon had the same problem. It was one of the first things she asked me about my Hyundai. I found that Walmart sells GE bulbs and I'm gonna try those the next time one goes. I've been using the sylvania up till now. Not too many choices out there. The last set I bought blew in 3 months and within one week of each other. Go figure. Thanks for your input though. Skywalker

Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Were you using Sylvania Silverstars? They have a VERY short life.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Yes, and I just replaced those with the same ones. It was all the auto parts store had at the time so I got the twin pack. I don't like to drive too long on one beam, cause if I lose the other someone is gonna have to suffer with my highs. I saved the receipt. They are going back if they don't last. I replaced the standard bulb with the silver stars thinking they might last longer. Thanks for letting me know about their short life expectancy, I won't be buying those anymore.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Hey, I'mnew to the forum. I have a 2003 elantra 100,000 miles. I found that if you slam the hood to hard that the headlights blowout. I stopped dropping the hood and haven't replaced a light in 2 years. Up to that point I replaced the driver side light 3 times.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 AM

I have all sorts of brands of bulbs to no avail! Maybe I'll have to try and stop using the Auto function but that is hard to do now since it is habit not to turn them on or off.

I'm up to about four lamps per side a year!

Has anyone found a solution? Did anyone find out if there is a TSB for this?

Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 PM

I found that if you change both of them out at the same time then the current draw is balanced and will extend the life of the bulbs. I have 175,000 on my 2001 Elantra and have only changed out the bulbs(low beams) 3 times

Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Elantra is a year and a half old, 27k miles, and I drive with headlights on all the time (not DRLs). I haven't burned out a bulb yet.