Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Low Beams not working

Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Default Low Beams not working

So my sister just bought a 2002 elantra and the low beams do not work. The high beamswork thoughand it looks like those have been adjusted downward to act as low beams. I have not looked into the problem at all, but was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, or if its common.? Also while im here, the passenger automatic lock does not work, once again, i have not looked into anything yet im just here to get some input. Thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Low Beams not working

The first thing to check is the headlamp fuse. In the fuse box in the engine compartment, look for the headlamp (low beam) fuse; it's in the lower right of this diagram. If the fuse is burned out, replace it. If it's not the fuse, it could be the relay. Try swapping the low beam and high beam relays to see if that fixes the low beams. If so, you'll need to get a new relay (pretty inexpensive).

The other thing it could be is the bulbs. It's entirely possible that the low beams on both bulbs are burned out. The best way to get to the bulbs is to remove the whole headlamp assembly from the car. On the right side it's easy- just three screws, two on top and one in the middle more toward the bottom (it's pointed in the same direction as the other two). On the right side, you have to remove the plastic shield first to get to the headlamp assembly.

If none of these fixes it, report back and we can look at some other things.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 PM

so both the bulbs were burnt out. i replaced the bulbs and found that they are adjusted to face almost directly downwards so that the high beams work as low beams. when i went to adjust them back i found that the adjusting screws were gone, only reason i can think of is to get them low enough so that the highs work as low. Is there any common problems with the low beams on these cars? anything that would cause the preveous owner to abondone the low beams all together?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

No. He was just an idiot I think.

Do you know for sure where the screws are? I haven't looked at mine in a while, but I seem to remember they weren't very obvious.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 PM

it came with the manual and shows the location of the screws. I'll prob just go to the dealer and try to get some new ones.