Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Power Steering Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Default Power Steering Hose Replacement

Hi! Newb here. I have seal leaks on my 2002 Elantra from the metal power steering hose (the one near road level) and was quoted about $300 to repair. There is a connection of sorts right in the middle of this tube-hose (don't know what for as it would seem to me this tubing could simply be a one-piece affair). This connection is also affixed to the car chassis itself. The leaks are coming from the seals on this "joint". If I can get the correct replacement part I figure even a mechanical moron as myself could do the replacement job. However, the "joint" in the middle of this metal tube-hose puzzles me, and as I cannot find a detailed diagram of this part or its function I don't know if I would be biting off much more than I can chew. All suggestions are welcomed

Old 03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

Your talking about the low pressure return hose. It's a mixture of rubber hoses connected to metal hoses via regular hose clamps. Why don't you just try to tighten up the hose clamps a little and see what happens first before you replace it?

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Hose Replacement-23.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. The leaks I'm talking about are not coming from where the metal tubing goes into the rubber tubing with the clamps, it's actually right in the middle of the metal portion where there is a segment with three rubber seals about a half inch apart separated by some different type of metal. That metal part of this segment is what is fastened to the chassis. The leaks are coming from the three rubber seals. I've tried to attach an illustration but I'm not sure if I did it right, and apparently I can't just paste one in here.

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Hose Replacement-hose-illustration.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

Hmm...

Well without actually looking at my car, I can't tell you what's on my car. Did you try to tighten them up?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM

To be honest, I know I needed to replace the entire p/s return hose, I was just really curious as to what the devil a connecting joint of sorts was doing right in the middle of a straight run of the metal return hose. But, being mechanically inept as I am I guess it serves a purpose I am unaware of. Also, being inept as I am, I went ahead and had the mechanic replace it, as I discovered when pricing the replacement part that I would be saving only around $70, a small price to pay to not risk messing anything up further. But again, thanks for your input, I appreciate it.