Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/)
-   -   Power steering prob (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/power-steering-prob-9699/)

pleil 12-05-2010 03:02 PM

Power steering prob

I recently just did my timing belt on my 02 gt and all the belts. Recently I noticed while not rolling and steering my power steering belt would start squeeling loudly. After I tried and tightened the belt some more we looked at the pulley while steering and whils its squeeling the pulley actually stops and the belt keeps going causing the noise... Any ideas? The belt is tight and only started after I changed it. The belt has the same grooves as the pulley also thanks

NovaResource 12-05-2010 03:44 PM

The belt is not tight enough.

sbr711 12-05-2010 07:28 PM

Tighten P/S belt all you want.... BUT------> you need to first verify the belt for water pump/alternator is good and tight first, as the water pump pulley drives the P/S pump belt.........:)

pleil 12-07-2010 05:37 PM

I will check the alternator and let ya know...thanks for the suggestion

bsparks72 12-12-2010 12:55 AM

sbr711 - thank you a zillion for pointing out something I should have seen before. At least my girlfriend's '04 has a new pump and pretty new fluid now. Maybe a year ago before I knew her, she took the car to a quick lube place, that recommended she change the belts, so she did. When the power steering started squealing several weeks ago, I saw the pulley locking up when turning, and thought the pump was on its way out. After putting the pump on, I got the same thing. I sat on this for weeks, thinking I was about to have to put a steering rack on the car or something. Meanwhile she drove a car that sounded awful. I just read this post, and went outside in the cold a little after midnight. I could see on the screw that it was 6-8 threads from where it originally was. I tightened the alternator belt, and it's perfect. If you have a paypal account, I'd like to "email" you a beer! I don't know why I didn't see what was going on. Thanks again.

pleil 12-14-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bsparks72 (Post 33481)
sbr711 - thank you a zillion for pointing out something I should have seen before. At least my girlfriend's '04 has a new pump and pretty new fluid now. Maybe a year ago before I knew her, she took the car to a quick lube place, that recommended she change the belts, so she did. When the power steering started squealing several weeks ago, I saw the pulley locking up when turning, and thought the pump was on its way out. After putting the pump on, I got the same thing. I sat on this for weeks, thinking I was about to have to put a steering rack on the car or something. Meanwhile she drove a car that sounded awful. I just read this post, and went outside in the cold a little after midnight. I could see on the screw that it was 6-8 threads from where it originally was. I tightened the alternator belt, and it's perfect. If you have a paypal account, I'd like to "email" you a beer! I don't know why I didn't see what was going on. Thanks again.

Same here thanks