Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Radio Wonder Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Default Radio Wonder Problems

Questions on wires and dash lights on a 2005 elantra.

After some time of trial and error my wire harness for the old factory radio was spliced into. I have most of the wires figured out. All the speakers are working, radio too. When it turns off.... yes the radio is reset I dont have the memory wire hooked up. Not sure what that ones is yet, nor do I have the dash light wire hooked up. Funny thing is my dash lights don't work now, ash try light too.

Any ideas would very very kind on the wires I have left and my dash light problem.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radio Wonder Problems

Have you cut the factory wires? If not, I suggest getting an adapter harness. You should be able to get one for the Elantra anywhere they do radio installations. I got one at Best Buy.It was not in the store; they had to get it from their installation department but they had one. I think I paid $16. It plugs into the connector in your car, and you can splice it to your new stereo wiring. They are color coded so you just match up the colors from the stereo harness to the adapter harness(for most stereo manufacturers).

If you've cut the wires, I can help youget it connected right. If your dash lights are out, I suspect your right side marker lights and tail lights are also out; this can be remedied by replacing Fuse 6 in the passenger compartment fuse box (which you can get to by removing the little bin to the left of the steering wheel). There should be a spare fuse there already. If it goes out again, my suspicion is that you hooked up the radio illumination leads incorrectly. This can be fixed but I need to know where we're starting from (i.e., whether the orginal connector is still there).

If the original connector is still there, though, the easiest solution is to get the adapter harness.

EDIT: Here is a link to alist ofwires to the stereo connector; you may find it helpful:http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ereoPinout.jpg

Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Dude your awesome....

I did cut the wires, not knowing about an adapter harness. However the wires I missed are now fixed due to the stereo pin chart. Yes it was a fuse. Makes me think I should replace the harness with a factory replacement and get the adapter for it and redo the right way.

Thanks again man.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Cool. At this point I would leave it be if I were you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM

I'm going to take your advice. I'm a little of a perfectionist..... ok alot... but I do know when a car is smarter then I am.

Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

If I happen to see a connector in the salvage yard sometime, I'll pick one up and send it to you. I'll let you know if I find one.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM

do you happen to have a the same diagram for a 2000 elantra, i've been trying to hook up a stereo, i finally got that working but now i have a problem and the speakers aren't working i bought brand new speakers for the whole car, and still nothing.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the wiring schematic for the 00 Elantra:

[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]

Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM

I'm fighting the same thing myself. Thanks for tying them al together for me - going to go check # in a minute.

I have a new link to the harness diagram: Tags: audio system, hyundai | ImSto

Sure wish I could have had this the first time I put in my stereo - all I could find was wire color lists that didn't match mine at all. I had to go trial and error wire by wire. (No wonder I lost my dash lights!)

Let me ask you this... The stereo I put in only has one wire for illumination. Which one of the car's illumination +/- wires do I hook to it, then where does the other go?

Thanks again,

Debbie