Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Rear Disc Brakes Wearing Faster Then Fronts

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Default Rear Disc Brakes Wearing Faster Then Fronts

Good Morning all,

I am new to this site. I was hoping to get a few peoples opinion and thoughts about the issue I am having with my car and dealership.

Sorry for the lengthy post...

I have a 2005 Elantra GT sedan. At about 19K miles I heard the brake pad sensor rubbing on the rotor. I checked the front brake pads first obviously to find that they had only been worn about 25% of their life.

I then checked the rear brake pads, they were worn down to the sensor and needed replacing.

I thought this was odd then knowing that 75% of the stopping power comes from the front brakes.

I replaced the brake pads and everything seemed to be fine. The brake pads weren't rubbing on the rotorand the wheelswere free spinning when all was done.

Then about a weekago (I nowam at about35k miles) I parked on a steep hill and used the emergency brake. Since then I have noticed a some what grinding sound from the back end of my car.Sounds like rear brakes haven't fully disengaged and are dragging on the rotor. So I jacked up the back of the car to see if the back wheels would spin freely. They didn't.

So I take my car into the dealership and told them I recently had to use the emergency brake and since then the brakes haven't fully disengaged. They took a look at my car and told me that whoever did the previous brake job (me) did'nt do it properlybut couldn't tell me what they (me) did wrong.

So I asked why then did I have to replace only the rear brake pads at 19k miles, when my front pads are still original and have 50% life left as of right now?

Thier response was "In these Hyundai's with 4-wheel disc brakes it is common for the rear brake pads to wear faster then the fronts"

Now this has to be some horse****. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before or has some insight as to what is going on with my car.

Again sorry for the long post,

I appreciate any replies,

jeverhart

Old 10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned
Default RE: Rear Disc Brakes Wearing Faster Then Fronts

[align=left]Sounds like your brakes are hanging up bigtime. The dealer not taking responsiblility was par for the course. Either your hydrolic system is plugged with something, or the calipers are hanging up. I would suspect the hydrolic system at the pressure regulator. I would start by bleeding your brakes and try to blow out the obstruction. If that doesn't help, I would start cracking open the brake lines, like at the pressure regulator, and bleed the lines from there. Good luck.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Here's some instructions in case you have ABS...

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c1528019490d

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Two issues come to mind and one you've already hit on, the parking brake cable system. The schematic for this setup indicates two seperate cables leading from the lever back to each rear wheel assembly. You don't mention that one side is worn worse than the other, which tells me the problem isn't related to the individual cables or the cam lever mechanism on the brake where the cable attaches. If the parking brake is involved, then I suspect something has worn or dropped into the lever mechanism preventing it from fully releasing. I think rusting or corrosion of the cam lever setup on the brakes themselves can be a problem, but again, I think it would be worn more on one side than the other.

The other possability is the pads. When you serviced the brakes, were you certain that you purchase the same or similar grade of pad for the back as for the front? Yes, the back brake does not provide the same level of braking action as the front, but if you happened to install a much softer set of pads, they would wear faster.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM

To fully answer your question, I've had this happen as well, being told that the rear brakes wear out faster then the front. Which like you said is very odd. I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and I've had nothing but issues with the brakes and rotors being junk. Every time I go to replace my brakes, my rotors are rusted down to near nothing. I'm told that this is a common issue with Hyundai. Do they use sub par rotors, or is the design of the braking system conducive to major wear and tear, along with corrosion? I do city driving( stop and go), so I know I have to replace my brakes every year. But I grow tired of rotors that need to be removed by the hammer of Thor, due to their being so rusted.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Use the hand break at least one a week. Non use can lead to lock up.
One thing the "hammer of Thor" is bad.
I had a 85 Golf that a friend had to torch the front rotors off.
Antiseize(sp) is your friend, get a larger container of it and use it on ALL bolts/nuts/parts that get removed. You never know when they will be removed again.
Use it on the back of the rotors after cleaning up the rust. Look for all parts that contact other parts and apply.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Rae

I am currently in the midst of the same issue.
My 2006 Elantra hatchback has 16,000 miles on it and I was told in Nov, by the dealership,that the rear brakes were at 30%. I took it intoour local Goodyearshop on Monday (rats ate through the fuel injector and spark plug cables) and asked them to double check the rear brakes. Now they're at .132 of an inch. That seems severe for 16,000.

I called the dealership, thinking it was a warranty issue, and was told that the Elantra's rear brakes just wear out sooner than most cars. I use my parking brake faithfully (Seattle hills) but am sure to completely disengage it (99.9% of the time).

I'm wondering if this is, in fact,a common problem with the Elantras, is it really worth my time to investigate/pursue warranty information?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

The rear disc brakes on my Tib wore out faster than the fronts. If you compare the two you can see why. When new, the rears have about 1/4 the friction material of the fronts.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Default rear disc brake wear issue

I also had the rear brakes start with the grinding sound on my '06 elantra with low mileage. I pulled all four pads on the rears and found that one set (passenger side) had worn unevenly - the outside pad was worn completely to the carrier, and the inside pad had ~0.2" left. On the other side, both pads had ~0.1" left. So, it seems that the inside pad on the passenger side got stuck, somehow (the caliper floated laterally, properly). Unfortunately these stock pads had wear indicators on the inside pad, only, so I had no warning that this was occurring.

I cleaned off the calipers, turned the rotors, installed a new set of pads, and am hoping that the stuck pad was a freak problem. It would be great to hear if someone knows of any tricks to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited by ppp4p6p89; 11-29-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Default Rear Disc Brakes Wearing Faster Then Fronts

i have a friend oso usin Levin rear disc brakes.. forgot how much was it tho..

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brakes Wearing Faster Then Fronts