Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Bent my spare tire compartment

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Default Bent my spare tire compartment

So, stupid me, I did a quick google search for where the lift points were on the back end of an Elantra, and I found a pic (this one) which I didn't read enough to know it wasn't even for the Elentra. Anyways, I put my floor jack under the shaded area in the back (where the spare tire sits) and lifted the car to do the rear brakes. Brakes are done, but not I realize I pushed part of the compartment up into my car!

1. Did I do any serious damage by this, other than a bent spare tire compartment?
2. Any relatively easy way to get it back in the correct shape?

I would say in all I raised the floor of the compartment by at least 3-5".

I'm an idiot.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:15 PM

I just don't know what to say.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:38 AM

You are lucky you didn't get killed or injured !
Telling it like it is,,,,,...............If you don't know how to jack up a car, how do you know what you are doing with the brakes ?????
VERY SCARY !!!

Old 12-18-2019, 06:35 AM

If you don't know how to jack up a car, how do you know what you are doing with the brakes ?????
Yea, I've done brakes for years on different cars. This is the first time doing it on this car on the rear since I bought it two years ago. I found the image, which has a point highlighted in that spot and there is a distinct piece of metal there so I went with it (stupidly). I didn't even know it bent until the next day when I had to put something in the trunk.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Look, stuff happens! Don't beat on yourself.

I bet it can be pushed back down with a bit of geometry and leverage. I once pushed the trunk area of a Nissan Sentra back in shape using a few pieces of 2x4.

Cut a piece so you can place it inside and under the sides of the trunk like a cross bar. Cut another piece (push rod) so it fits between the floor and the first piece. Now you need a long 3rd piece as a lever. Put the end of the lever under the cross bar, put the push rod between the raised floor and the lever a few inches back from the cross bar. Now push the lever down slowly and carefully. If the sides of the trunk want to go up protect them with 2 x 4 pieces. You may need a piece of 2x6 or similar to distribute the pressure on the floor.

If it's a hatchback you will need longer pieces to wedge them under the roof edge.

Have fun with it!

By the way I always use wooden pieces to protect the car when I jack it up. They distribute the pressure.

Last edited by allegretto; 12-18-2019 at 05:52 PM.