Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Steering wheel locks and belts make a loud noise

Old 12-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Default Steering wheel locks and belts make a loud noise

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with my 2003 Hyundai Elantra. After starting the car the belts are making that loud screeching noise. The steering is tightens up which makes it hard for me to get out of a parking spot. This is an on going issue, I've changed the belts several times, changed the steering pump, changes the water pump, and have had to change the alternator twice since this issue ends with a dead alternator. All that for the problem to still be there. If anyone's had this issue and found a fix please let me know because the mechanics I've been to don't seem to know what the issue is either. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:55 AM

The belt may be loose, if it is not it, then it may be in need of lubrication.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:45 PM

Power steering looses power because of slipping belts
Maybe something is not moving freely
Take the belt off and check each pulley to see which may be stuck or sticking

If that isn't it then my guess is that it may be the crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer
The power from the engine is not being transferred from the crankshaft to the other items (power steering, alternator) on the belt
The harmonic balancer can sometimes come apart
And not turn (slips) or the belts will not rotate in a single plane

Last edited by avisitor; 12-14-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:29 PM

I just solved my power steering dilemma after several years. The problem started after getting the timing belt changed.

The mechanic put on a substandard belt onto the power steering. The proper belts should have 3 solid ribs, the belt they used had 3 ribs with a groove down the middle of each rib.

What I just discovered is that the pulley on the power steering pump itself had a build up of rubber material in each groove, so even after putting on a new belt, the belt did not truly grab the pulley as designed. We used a small screw driver and ran it down each groove on the pulley, cleaning each one down to the metal. What we did was put the screw driver in a groove, and rotated the pulley by putting a power ratchet on the bolt on the side of the pulley. This thoroughly cleaned the grooves, then the new belt went in, and no more noise at all.

After playing with the alternator belt, etc, the pulley grooves on the power steering pump simply had to be cleaned out. Then the appropriate belt with the correct grooves went on.