Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

transmission blew oil into radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Default transmission blew oil into radiator

I have a 2001 hyundai elantra GT. While driving and merging into traffic I felt the transmission slipping like it was going into neutral. Once at speed it was fine. Once I got to destination I noticed steam rising from under the hood. I looked under the hood and found a combination of brown foamy oil and antifreeze all over near the engine coolant tank is. The engine coolent tank appeared to have plenty of liquid in it. Examining the liquid in the tank it was half antifreeze and half brown foamy oil. Aftre it cooled down I opened the radiator cap and found no antifreeze in it. I poured new intifreeze in it and i big blob of brown oil came up to the top. I checked the engine oil dip stick and it looked fine. I checked the transmission dip stick and it was empty. I think the transmission cooling line in the radiator ruptured. Since it only has 54,000mi I called hyundai roadside assistance and after giving them the VIN# the qualified me for warranty assistance and they sent a tow truck in 50 min. It is now at hyunday awaiting a diagnosis.
Has anybody had this happen to them? Is this a common failure? Should I be concerned about prabably having antifreeze in my transmission?

Thanks
DC

Old 02-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Default RE: transmission blew oil into radiator

Here is a update to the post above.
Hyunday diagnosed the problem , the transmission cooler inside the radiator ruptured and that is how the transmission oil got into the radiator. New radiator $300.00 plus flushing out the transmission with fluid 3 times. total cost $804.00 plus tax. The 2001 elantra had 54,000 miles on it. dealer said it wasn't covered by 5 year bumper to bumper warranty because the radiator cap was not a original hyundai cap. I said "let me talk to the manager" ...... after about 5 min of explaining how small claims court now covers up to $5000.00 of damages and he will need a lawyer, He said OK and covered everything.
I couldn't believe when I went to pick it up, They didn't even wash all the transmission oil off the engine or belts. I thought about going in and complain but I just drove it home and sprayed foamy cleaner on the engine to get the oil off the belts. The car is fine now.
Here is some advise for you. keep records of all maintance done on your car. The first thing they do is ask to see these records in hopes that you don't have them, then they try to deny warranty.

good luck!