Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

USB/MP3/Ipod

Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Default USB/MP3/Ipod

I have a 2011 Elantra. Loaded. I do not want to buy an Ipod. I already have an MP3 player. When I connect the MP3 player with the audio cable it will play. If I connect a USB cable it will charge but not play.
The player manufacturer had me change a setting but that did not help. Anyone know if I will have to buy an Ipod, or can I do the same thing with an MP3 player. Thanks.

Ps.........They supplied a cable with the car. It will only fit an Ipod? It has a USB jack and audio jack on one end and the Ipod end on the other. Is Hyundai in bed with Apple? I am certain my MP3 player was made in an Asian country.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 PM

If you are asking if the head unit can be configured to control the MP3 player through it's menus, the answer is no. The head unit menu system will only interact with an Ipod.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ken99
If you are asking if the head unit can be configured to control the MP3 player through it's menus, the answer is no. The head unit menu system will only interact with an Ipod.
Thanks Ken. Thats what I thought. It does look like it will charge the MP3 player? Via USB. I need to check it again.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Default Hard Drive

Does the 2011 Elantra radio have its own hard drive? Or is it just an interface for Apple. Ipod to be exact?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

No hard drive. iPod interface only. The owners manual should have more details.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ken99

Does the head unit have a hard drive? And if yes, the manufacturer can update it? Right?
It is a shame that Hyundai would make the OEM head unit proprietary to Apple Inc. Of course the Ipod is the most popular music player around. But Apple and Windows do not mix well. That is why I use an MP3 player and not an Ipod. Besides I really have zero interest in Itunes which MUST be downloaded to use an Ipod.
Thanks Ken. Are you the only person on this forum. Where are some Hyundai pros? At least on the Dodge forum, there are Dodge service professionals monitoring the questions and providing at least some decent information.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
No hard drive. iPod interface only. The owners manual should have more details.
Thanks. Thats what I figured when anything but an Ipod is not recognized by the radio. I guess Hyundai has a proprietary contract with Apple?
It is a shame they spent all their effort on many controls, but so little on sound and capability.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM

The USB port in Elantra audio (other cars the same) is for either connecting iPod or USB drive (memory stick like Sandisk 4, 8, 16 GB - any size). I don't use iPod because I don't want to deal with iTune. I just copy all my songs onto the USB stick, in organized folder structure. I am using 16 GB Sandisk with more than 3,000 songs in it. Audio system can recognize many different format of audio files like MP3, WAV, WMA, etc.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CbayFisherman
The USB port in Elantra audio (other cars the same) is for either connecting iPod or USB drive (memory stick like Sandisk 4, 8, 16 GB - any size). I don't use iPod because I don't want to deal with iTune. I just copy all my songs onto the USB stick, in organized folder structure. I am using 16 GB Sandisk with more than 3,000 songs in it. Audio system can recognize many different format of audio files like MP3, WAV, WMA, etc.
Yes, We found the same thing. I also did not want to convert all my music files to ITunes. I went round and round until I decide to just buy my wife an MP3 player and use the audio cord. To both our surprise, the MP3 player was recognized in USB mode and we can use the touch screen to make selections. It made both of us very happy.
We had to use a newer MP3 player as my Sansa Fuse would not work. The newer model did.
I will try a memory stick. I want to see if the one I have is supported. It is an older one.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Default "Info on"

With the stereo in the Elantra Limited w/ tech package, whenever I am playing music tracks through the USB, I have to hit the button on the screen to get the track info (artist, song, etc.). Then anytime I seek or advance to another song, the info goes away and only the track name shows. Do I have to hit this button every time a new song comes on to see the track info?

Last edited by takeitdown; 01-29-2012 at 11:24 PM.