Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/)
-   -   Weird humming noise (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-17/weird-humming-noise-16568/)

Dltimko 07-18-2017 11:25 AM

Weird humming noise

I been searching but not finding anything. 2015 Elantra with 58,000 miles. Runs great but I have noticed a few times now when I drive to my fiancés house about an hour and a half away, when I'm on the highway a weird humming noise starts. It does it for a little bit then stops and comes back. The other night it did it really loud and I was worried I wasn't gonna make it the next 10 miles. I tapped the brakes and it stopped and didn't do it again the rest of the way. Now on the way back home it has never done it. So it seems like after it runs for awhile and I'm on the highway it happens. Steers fine. The first time I thought maybe it was a pebble stuck in my tire again but it never sounded like that when it's happened before. So my next thought was wheel bearings. I just went out and jacked it all up and I didn't feel any play and the tires all seemed to spin about the same. Any other things I should check? Or could it possibly be a beating just starting to go bad but not bad enough to notice? Thanks!

avisitor 07-18-2017 02:17 PM

I have seen bad wheel bearing where there was no play at all and made noise
And have seen bad wheel bearing where there was play but no noise

And for about three months I had a noise coming from my left front wheel.
Wasn't the brakes. And it wasn't the CV joint.
Yep, it was the wheel bearing. Jacked it up and no play at all.
I drove it like that for about 400 miles.
Finally the noise was getting to me and then had a mechanic change the wheel bearing.

I like to do my own repairs.
But, got to know when it makes sense to get a mechanic to do it.
I know how to do it. I just don't have the equipment.
And, there is the factor of living in the rust belt.
Where all nuts and bolts sort of rust weld themselves into not moving
And sometimes the heads will break or even the bolt.

Oh, if you do replace the wheel bearing ...
There are those who say to replace them in a set
Both front or both rear at one time
I think it is a personal thing.
Depending on whether you are keeping the car or selling it soon

Dltimko 07-18-2017 03:54 PM

Stuck with it for 3 more years. Haha. I have no problem changing them and battling the rusty bolts. I have all the tools. We must be from the same region. Lol. I just can't figure out which one is the bad one. And like I said it doesn't do it all the time which makes it harder to tell from the sound. I rolled down the window but going 65 mph the wind just rushes in so fast. Seemed like the drivers side but I could t tell if it was front or back. I see the front ones aren't too expensive but the rear ones are so I hate to just start changing them at random and hoping I get the right one.

avisitor 07-18-2017 09:01 PM

Sometimes driving by a building or wall with the windows open can reflect the sound
And maybe that will let you know whether it is left or right.

Well, if it doesn't bother you then wait until it is more pronounced
Then it should be obvious where the noise is coming from

I live in Albany, NY. and am dreaming of moving somewhere it doesn't get snow.

Dltimko 07-19-2017 11:53 AM

Yes. Pa here. So tired of the snow and frames rotting out. So last night I went for a ride with my fiancé hoping it would do it with both of us in the car to try to narrow down what side it was on. No luck. Didn't act up at all. Called my brother that works in a parts store to get prices and I think I'm gonna change the front ones and hope it's those ones. Rear are much more expensive. But seeing as how I could kind of feel it through the gas pedal I'm thinking the front is a safe bet

avisitor 07-20-2017 12:44 PM

Good luck on changing the wheel bearings
Hope that fixes the issue.
Do you have all the tools necessary to do this?
Also, you can always check out videos on youtube on how to do it?
Anyway, good luck.

Dltimko 07-23-2017 09:52 AM

Well now I'm doubting that it's a wheel bearing. There's no change in the noise if I turn. And last night I was actually driving through town at 35 mph and it started doing it. This humming just sounded too consistent. Like it didn't change when my speed changed or when I would turn or hit the brakes. It actually did it until I was almost stopped and sounded exactly the same as it did at 35. Transmission was my next thought so I down shifted a couple gears and got the rpms up but it didn't change with that. Totally flustered now

avisitor 07-24-2017 07:36 PM

Don't make this more difficult on yourself
It can be wheel bearings or CV axle or transmission
I doubt it is the tranny or CV axle

But, if you have doubts then just wait until the noise gets worse
By then it should be easier to identify
Just don't make plans for road trip

Dltimko 08-11-2017 01:57 PM

Well here is an update. Finally found the noise is coming from the front right. I then discovered my warranty was good for another 1000 miles so I figured I would save myself $40 and an hour or 2 of busting my knuckles open and took it to the dealer. Well all that got me was a $43 bill to look at it and tell me they couldn't replicate the noise or find anything loose. Now a couple times since Tuesday, it started ahah. But when I hit the brakes it got even worse. So my plan tomorrow is to get some bloody knuckles. Debating on doing brakes and rotors too but they are only a year old and plenty of brakes left

avisitor 08-11-2017 06:21 PM

Inspect the brakes. Check the slide pins.
Then just go about getting bloody knuckles ... lol
Sorry, just take your time and do it right
Be careful and hope everything goes according to plan

Good luck