Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

creaking and rattling

Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Default creaking and rattling

This is the coldest weather I've driven my touring as of date and it was creaking and rattling like crazy. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by turtle
This is the coldest weather I've driven my touring as of date and it was creaking and rattling like crazy. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is a previous thread on the subject: https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9133

I have had repeated problems with creaking noises from my new 2010, but our weather has been mild. Three weeks ago the dealer replaced the front struts and sway bar. 100 miles later, my ET was creaking like my old Ford Focus wagon that had 118,000 miles on it.

This time the dealer kept the car for nearly two weeks. (For what it is worth, I put 700 miles on a new 2011 ET and it was quiet as can be.) I was told that the entire "under frame" was disassembled, lubed and reassambled. I essentially have a handmade 2010 ET. I drove it about 80 miles today and it sounds and runs great.

Last edited by ArchtopBill; 10-29-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:02 AM

XCount 1 here to, 2010 ET does raddle, & the rear hatch is my problem mostly!
Does it have a lot of Body flex?
Arshtopbill that is on my list of things to have done!!
thankyou for the info,
Ron

Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 AM

No problems with the hatch and the body seems rigid. There are no tell tale signs of the doors, trunk or hood showing misalignment.

I am taking it on a 300+ mile trip into the Smokys National Park today. I will let you know how it holds up.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 PM

We took the sun burnner ET for a 100 mile trip today outside temp 78%
inside temp 89 & Burnning hot on the dash, the top sunglasses holder on longer works.Melted shut??anyway we drove out to the Hillcountry big misstake1
That little 4 cal just had a hard time pulling up the even small hills changing to2nd gear at times & at 45mph was all she would do !! so to both our dismay, this is a city car, So much for a better traveling car!!may Trade it after all : (.
cut our loss as an don't beleve all you read about this (1) !
We could not make out how a good car could get any worse? We massed up by not taking it to the Hills the first day..
The end of a bad day in the ET!!
Ron
%

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rontier
We took the sun burnner ET for a 100 mile trip today outside temp 78%
inside temp 89 & Burnning hot on the dash, the top sunglasses holder on longer works.Melted shut??anyway we drove out to the Hillcountry big misstake1
That little 4 cal just had a hard time pulling up the even small hills changing to2nd gear at times & at 45mph was all she would do !! so to both our dismay, this is a city car, So much for a better traveling car!!may Trade it after all : (.
cut our loss as an don't beleve all you read about this (1) !
We could not make out how a good car could get any worse? We massed up by not taking it to the Hills the first day..
The end of a bad day in the ET!!
Ron
%
Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about your lousy weekend. On the other hand, we put about 500 miles on our 2010 ET SE this weekend in the mountains including going up and over Newfound Gap from Gatlinburg into Cherokee and then up and over Soco Gap into Maggie Valley. It ran great with weather conditions ranging from mid 40's to mid 70's.

The work done recently by the dealer seems to have completely eliminated the moans and groans we were experiencing. I remain very happy with mine after two months.

Last edited by ArchtopBill; 10-31-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM

Rattles seem to be common with the Touring. I have a annoying rattle somewhere in the dash. My brake pedal is also noisy when I first apply pressure to it.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Rattle is commun in all car in winter.
My Honda Fit was terrible in winter the dash was very noisy.
This morning 1C and nothing in my ET.
Not so bad.
Stef

Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

I agree. Every car I've ever owned had creaks and rattles in the winter that didn't exist in the warmer weather. The parts just get less flexible in the cold weather.

Remember, even with all the improvements Hyundai has made in the past 10 years, they are still a manufacturer that makes affordable cars. Don't expect Mercedes-like quality on Hyundai prices. I think many people feel Hyundai cars should be perfect or near-perfect. They sometimes forget Hyundai builds value-priced automobiles.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM

100% agreed!
I had 3 honda previously and my last was a Fit I can tell you that my ET is well made and even better than my FIT.

For the creaking in Winter this is due to the dilatation and expension of the hard plastic nothing we can do except moving to Arizona.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: creaking and rattling