Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-touring-i30-45/)
-   -   Elantra Touring reliability - better stats (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-touring-i30-45/elantra-touring-reliability-better-stats-7585/)

mkaresh 11-11-2009 01:57 PM

Elantra Touring reliability - better stats

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by Elantra owners, with over 350 signed up. But (as you probably know) the Elantra Touring is a totally different car despite the name. So we need enough participating owners to report a separate result for it.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Elantra Touring, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

rcashin 11-11-2009 03:06 PM

Hey folks ... this is quite a service that Michael (mkaresh) has going. I came across it as I was researching my recent purchase (the one that ended with the ET). I thought I would start reporting my new Touring, to give back a little and make the stats even more meaningful.

Hopefully some of you will do the same.

Thanks for posting, mkaresh. :)

mkaresh 12-20-2009 08:14 AM

Thank you for putting a word in.

We have updated results for the Elantra to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 28, better than average

2007: 41, better than average

2005: 80, about average

2003: 83, about average, small sample size

2002: 156, worse than average, small sample size

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information.

Hyundai Elantra reliability comparisons

mkaresh 02-27-2010 10:17 AM

We have an initial result for the Elantra Touring to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. With 61 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Elantra Touring appears to be about average.

This was based on 23 responses, and an average of 2.6 months per car. So close to the bare minimum. We'll have a full result based on considerably more data in May.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping.

Not yet signed up? The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

Hyundai Elantra Touring reliability comparisons

mkaresh 03-31-2010 10:47 AM

37 Elantra Touring owners now signed up. A good start, but even a few more participants would be very helpful, as we're near the minimum.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

zraver 04-02-2010 12:00 AM

Not sure if this is germane to you or not. 3100 mile son the Odomoter, 2101 Elantra Touring GLS, AT. Electric Power steering failed and the whole unit had to be replaced. Car was at the dealer for a week as the part had to get shipped in.

EPS thoughts

Minus side

Very expensive- $2000 plus dollars. A former hydraulic unit that could be a DIY job is now similar to a transmission repair. Not worth keeping the vehicle after the warranty is up.

If the EPS the steering, even with the vehicle in motion is very difficult.

Plus side

At least its not drive by wire, there is a physical link between the steering wheels, and the wheels on the ground.

mkaresh 05-05-2010 11:16 AM

Ouch. Certainly good info.

We'll have updated stats in about two weeks, with a full result for the Elantra Touring this time around.

The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

Car reliability research

mkaresh 06-13-2010 08:04 AM

We have an initial result for the Elantra Touring to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. With 83 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Elantra Touring appears to be worse than average so far.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping.

Not yet signed up? The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

mkaresh 08-28-2010 10:57 AM

We have an initial result for the Elantra Touring to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 56

2009: 70, small sample size

Both are about average.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

touringcajun 10-13-2010 06:40 PM

I found this thread when my EPS light came on last week and I lost power steering intermittently while driving. My local dealership pulled the codes (c1260 and c1290) and cleared them, but the problem kept returning so they gave me a rental for a couple of days and worked with Hyundai support.

The electronic steering column was replaced and it's been several days now and all seems well. The only troubling thing about this, other than a safety issue, is if it had happened outside of warranty it would have been $2300. I wish this would be added to the drive train warranty for peace of mind.

This is our first problem with the lil wagon and my wife and I continue to enjoy this very roomy, functional package that Hyundai brought over. It's still fun to drive also.