Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

ET almost a year old, still hasn't had first maintenance service

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Default ET almost a year old, still hasn't had first maintenance service

We've had our 2009 Elantra Touring for almost a year (in August) and it has still not had it's first maintenance service - it's still under 6,000 miles. Should I take it in anyway?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

You've never changed the oil or rotated the tires yet?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Default First Year Maintenance

ETinCA - NOVA hit the nail on the head. It seems that you do not drive a bunch (6,000 per year or less) so oil and oil filter changes are really necessary. Typically short trips are hard on the oil as the engine seldom reaches proper operating temperature. Frequent low engine temperatures will not allow the moisture content in the oil to evaporate/boil out of the system. Without getting too technical here as to why, try to get the oil changed twice a year. Because of the 'goofy' oil filter gaskets, have your Hyundai dealer do the oil changes. This is a low cost for preventative maintenance.

You should also rotate the tires about every 5,000 miles (you do check the air pressure on occasion, don't you?). I take all of my cars to the local Discount Tire store where they rotate the tires for free every 5000 miles. They'll also check the air pressure for you.

Doing these seemingly minor maintenance items will keep that Touring of yours good to go for years. Check out the maintenance schedules in your Owner's Manual for helpful 'tips'.

Ray

Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 PM

We've had the oil changed but have not gone into for the official 7,500 service. I doubt that we will only use Hyundai service to change our oil - Hyundai is not conveniently located for us. I'm going to make an appt. I checked our manual and it says 7,500 miles or 6 months. We dropped the ball on the 6 months so I'll get it in.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Are we saying that Hyundai somehow mandates 7,500 and other arbitrary mileage interval services that are totally unnecessary or they will void the Hyundai warranty? Certainly getting your oil changed at least twice a year for low mileage driving or every 5,000 miles with dino oil is a good thing, as is changing your belts/hoses/water pump around the 70,000 mile mark, and getting your antifreeze replaced every two years, but 7,500....30,000....60,000 services are completely rediculous and designed to allow dealers to gouge the public.

Last edited by Caretaker; 07-18-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Default Maintenance Itervals

Caretaker: You are correct in that there is no 'magic' in changing oil at 7,500 miles - can't hurt though. There are several excellent reasons for 7,500 miles maintenance intervals including the all important multiples of 7,500 miles (15,000, 22,500, 30,000, 60,000, 90,000 miles, etc). One of the important factors for autos sold in the U.S. is the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) mandate for permissible and/or allowable service and how this service will affect the emissions output and life of certain emission components. Another is what is generally labeled by the manufactures as Vehicle Cost of Ownership.

When the auto manufactures factor all of these and several other considerations into the equation for satisfactory projected warranty life, federal requirements and customer expectations, the 7,500 mile number gains importance.

While your comment that the manufacture's recommended maintenance intervals is a method for dealers to gouge the public, nothing could be further from the actual facts. We all know that vehicle maintenance costs money. Oil, antifreeze, hoses and belts are relatively cheap. Replacement engines, transmissions and cooling systems are not.

The key word may well be Preventative maintenance.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Time is just as hard as mileage. That's why the recommended intervals have both a time and mileage on when they should be done. For example, the timing belt is to be changed at 60k miles OR 4 years, whichever comes first.

Just because you haven't reached the mileage for a specific maintenance item doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if the time has lapsed.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM

uh, huh; just what the dealers have been saying for decades. Someday soon the "facts" will be released and dealers will disappear as the irrelevant businesses that they are. If you want to throw your money away, be my guest. For those of us who don't have a mechanic's shop in our back yard where we can drain the fluids every time we get bored or when things are slow at the office, I offer up better advice.......find a mechnic you trust (certainly not the dealer), and add 15-20 percent longer to the intervals in your car's maintenance schedule; it won't ruin your car.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Caretaker
uh, huh; just what the dealers have been saying for decades. Someday soon the "facts" will be released and dealers will disappear as the irrelevant businesses that they are
It's not the DEALERS that make up the maintenance schedule it's the MANUFACTURER that does.

Originally Posted by Caretaker
........find a mechnic you trust (certainly not the dealer), and add 15-20 percent longer to the intervals in your car's maintenance schedule; it won't ruin your car.
If you want to keep your MANUFACTURER warranty you must do the MANUFACTURERS required maintenance.

And by law, it does NOT have to be done by a dealer. Any shop can do the required maintenance, you just have to make sure it's documented.

So your argument is moot.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM

>>>
If you want to keep your MANUFACTURER warranty you must do the MANUFACTURERS required maintenance.

Are you saying that my warranty will be voided because I did not have the car serviced at the 6 month mark?

Quick Reply: ET almost a year old, still hasn't had first maintenance service