Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

How does the Elantra Touring handle in the snow?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Default How does the Elantra Touring handle in the snow?

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying an Elantra Touring and was just wondering how it handles in the winter? I was considering the Honda Fit but heard that it was awful in the winter. I'm thinking of getting a model with electronic stability assist/traction control and would definately get winter tires. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 AM

good winter tires, and you're good to go!! loved it this winter

Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Winter tires make all the difference. I'd rather drive a FWD car with winter tires than an AWD car with all-season tires.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 PM

i got stuck once while parked on solid ice and snow, used the metal tracks under my tires, and out i went.
i should say my ride before the elantra was a rwd dodge charger. fun to drive but a misery in winter, and the repairs started to rack up within a month of the bumper to bumper warranty expiring

Old 04-14-2011, 04:07 PM

I've read that a lot of folks who live in snow will use winter tires on their factory steelies and get the alloys for their all season or summer tires.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Not steelies but the factory 16" aluminums. I run 18" factory Veracruz wheels in the summer:

Original 16" Tucson wheels with snow tires:

18" Veracruz wheels with all-season tires:

Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 AM

No problem driving on both local roads and higher speed roads in snow and slush. Went up icy and snow coverd inclines. I put Continental extreme contact DWS tires on last October.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM

I put Michelin X-Ice 15in tires on mt 2010 Touring SE. Handled a Toronto winter just fine. Never ever got stuck and handled fine.

I also just took the winters off, and put the Continental Extremecontact DWS on (instead of the horrible OEMs). The KumhOMG's that came on the car would slip when wet. So far the Conti's seem fine, but have only used for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM

thanks everyone for your replies.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM

After reading this thread I was actually afraid to drive in the snow with my Touring.
Anyway, I had to drive in the snow and it handled fantastic.
I think people just type anything to have something to say.
This is a front wheel drive. I do not expect it to drive like a 4 wheel drive. As for rear wheel drive then you can expect to use some type of snow tire. I saw many Mustangs stuck in the snow. I passed them and many other types of cars.
You just have to use good sense when you drive in snow.
How do I rate my Touring to other vehicles? I passed al lot of stranded cars and they ate their hearts out.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does the Elantra Touring handle in the snow?