Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-touring-i30-45/)
-   -   Ignition Key Problem (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-touring-i30-45/ignition-key-problem-12888/)

tgawron 08-03-2012 02:06 PM

Ignition Key Problem

I have a 2011 Elantra Touring and am having a problem turning the key in the ignition cylinder intermittently, it will not turn at all. I have tried shaking the steering wheel in the locked and unlocked position when this happens and it doesn't free it up. I have also tried a different key and sprayed some dry lubricant into the lock mechanism. I see no TSB's from Hyundai about this issue. Any ideas?

badger_biker 08-21-2012 12:29 PM

I have a 2010 ET and lately have encountered the ignition being hard to turn in both directions at times. It sticks and will finally move. I'd like to hear of anyone else with this problem. I'm close to 42,000 mi and have it on my list to mention to the dealer when I bring it in for my last check before the warranty runs out.

gjz30075 08-22-2012 05:51 AM

Interesting. I have an '11 and finding that turning the key to the position to remove it is sometimes difficult. No problems turning the car on but it seems to get stuck in the 'acc' position and won't turn back to the last position to remove the key. Pushing the key in seems to help.

Greg Z

NovaResource 08-22-2012 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gjz30075 (Post 44047)
Interesting. I have an '11 and finding that turning the key to the position to remove it is sometimes difficult. No problems turning the car on but it seems to get stuck in the 'acc' position and won't turn back to the last position to remove the key. Pushing the key in seems to help.

Greg Z

Have you read you owners manual? See page 5-4. You are supposed to push the key in to remove it.

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/a...1&d=1345640632

gjz30075 08-23-2012 05:45 AM

Dang! Thanks. Sorry previous posters, can't help here.

ketau dog 12-24-2012 12:53 PM

Dear tgawron, I'm having the same exact came problem with our ignition put the key in and no turn play with it for a few min befor it'll work did you resolve your problem???. thanks phil c

tgawron 12-24-2012 03:59 PM

Dry lube

I sprayed some dry lubricant into the key way and so far it has been working good.

MuddauberE 04-07-2013 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tgawron (Post 43815)
I have a 2011 Elantra Touring and am having a problem turning the key in the ignition cylinder intermittently, it will not turn at all. I have tried shaking the steering wheel in the locked and unlocked position when this happens and it doesn't free it up. I have also tried a different key and sprayed some dry lubricant into the lock mechanism. I see no TSB's from Hyundai about this issue. Any ideas?

I was having the same problem with my 2011 touring and I took it back to the dealer under warranty and they had to replace the ignition key module. Took them about a week and a half before I got it back. They gave me a loaner car during that time. No charge to me.

The issue was getting worse and then one day my wife was not ale to start the car while at work and had to get someone to assit. I knew I had to do something. Guess that's what warrants are for.

badger_biker 04-09-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by badger_biker (Post 44040)
I have a 2010 ET and lately have encountered the ignition being hard to turn in both directions at times. It sticks and will finally move. I'd like to hear of anyone else with this problem. I'm close to 42,000 mi and have it on my list to mention to the dealer when I bring it in for my last check before the warranty runs out.

As an update the dealer replaced the cylinder under warranty no questions asked. They agreed there was a problem. No issues since.

Nomsa Malefetse 04-14-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by MuddauberE (Post 45792)
I was having the same problem with my 2011 touring and I took it back to the dealer under warranty and they had to replace the ignition key module. Took them about a week and a half before I got it back. They gave me a loaner car during that time. No charge to me.

The issue was getting worse and then one day my wife was not ale to start the car while at work and had to get someone to assit. I knew I had to do something. Guess that's what warrants are for.

I am currently having the same issue with my i20 and they refused to give me a courtesy car. Sad