Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Need help w/Terrible mileage, whats your RPM at shifts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Default Need help w/Terrible mileage, whats your RPM at shifts

OK, posted here a while ago about my lousy mileage. Heres my update.
I bought my 09 ET in August, and have 4300 miles on the OD now.
I'm now getting around 17 mpg in city driving, which is pretty much all I do (city driving). Here's the kicker, I get great highway mileage, upwards of 32 or more at 65-70 mph.
Now, I have narrowed my problem down to RPM's at shifts.
Get this, I took it to the dealer last week. Their GDS Diag Computer said I was starting in 1st gear at 746 RPM, shifting from first to second at 1639 RPM's, 2nd to 3rd at 1773 RPM's, 3rd to 4th at 1463 RPM"s, 4th to 5th at 2053 RPM's.
I am looking at my copy of the dealer GDS printout as I write.
So I'm in the dealer waiting when they bring me this printout and go over it with me. I had to laugh.
The head mechanic and I went for a drive, first my driving, then his, not once did either of us see it shift sooner the 2500 RPM's.
The averge my Elantra Touring shifts at 3000 RPMs. Its been like that since about 500 miles on it. Which is why its getting lousy mileage.
My Nissan Titan, with a V8, gets better city mileage, serioulsy.
So, their Diag Computer gave a false report, in their favor, of course.
The values I wrote above are in spec., where I SHOULD be getting my shifts.
That said, if anyone is getting the same real world shifts I am with an automatic, I would like to know, I would also like to hear from those of you getting GOOD city mileage, and where your shifts are coming.
I've been reading alot about Hyundai's and really bad mileage lately, and dealer negligence as a response.
I am considering going to the states attorney because of the Diag discrepencies. That stinks to high heaven. I could see it misreading one shift, or evn two, but all of them. 1st - 5th? That just aint cool.
Mileage is a serious concern in this day and age, and with all the Toyota issues, I think the authorities are looking at this stuff closely now.
The USA market is the one all tha carmakers want, and things are getting dirty I think. At least in this case.
If anyone wants copies of my dealer GDS printout, PM. me.
I'm getting 17 mpg now. If my car were shifting where their computer claims, I'd be clearing 25 mpg city easy. These are REAL numbers, which is to say, a HUGE differance. I dont like being lied to.
On a side note, the dealer's head mechanaic admitted the GDS was WAY off, and I was supposed to recieve a call within three days from "Hyundai Tech Line" whatever that is.
That was thursday before last. Seven working days.
I am quickly losing faith in Hyundai.
John L.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM

Did you calculated by hand your mileage? The computer might be off mark.

Just took my 2010 ET for a 130km drive and got 6,8L/100km (which is around 34MPG) for a 20% city driving and 70% back-country driving and 10% highway. Numbers are from car computer.

I only have 200km on the odometer.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

If it's not shifting until 3000 rpm, that's a problem. You probably need the computer reprogrammed.

Have you tried shifting manually to get it to upshift sooner? If you can manually make it shift sooner then drive a tankfull shifting manually all the time and see if your mileage increases. If it does, get the trans computer serviced.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM

If the dealership is looking in to this, and are dealing with their tech line, why have you not called them back to pursue this further? It sounds like they agree there is an issue and are willing to work with you to resolve it.

You didn't post where you are, and if your "city driving" includes large amounts of stop & go rush hour type traffic. If your climate is very warm and you are driving in very heavy city traffic I would expect the car to do significantly worse than 25mpg. That said, the diagnostic computer giving incorrect readings does indicate a further issue. It could be that those are the points where it is requesting that the transmission shift, however it is not actually shifting until much later.

Mileage is a serious concern in this day and age, and with all the Toyota issues, I think the authorities are looking at this stuff closely now.
The USA market is the one all tha carmakers want, and things are getting dirty I think. At least in this case.
I don't see how the Toyota issues are relevant to the mileage your car gets, and the US market is not the one all the car makers want, it just isn't.

Last edited by zero10; 04-03-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Thank for the replys.
First of all, my car has an automatic transmission.
I am in Southern California, on flat grund. And yes, I have calculated the mileage to an average 17 mpg. In my opinion, the on board computer is junk, or mines defective, one.
The comuter generally states 19 mpg, and takes miles to change values. But as I write, its reading 17.5.
Ive ran the 14 gallon tank dry three times, all city driving, I've gotten 253 miles, 242 miles, 248 miles respectively.
I did one tank with highway and city, and got 273, an avergae of 20 mpg.
I am 47 years old with a fairly decent mechanical background. I can pretty much take an engine apart and put it back together.
Of course I'm talking older engines.
I have three roll aways filled with Mac and Snap-On tools in my garage. I'm just sayin' that I know engines and how things should behave.
That said, I am just curious what others are getting.
Notice in my post, their Dyno gave false figures. When a computer designed to diagnose problems with a vehicle is spitting out false value like that, that are in favor of the dealer, who's bread and butter is not cars, but repairs, and warranty work is 0 $ for them, false values should be a warning to everyone, particualarly when all they do is plug it in, say, "Your good," and scoot you on off, but you KNOW there's a problem. Now most of you are likley OK, but those of us that arent, need to address this.
I dont mean to imply Hyundai's dishonest, but I have the printout right here on my desk, and believe me, the values are wrong. ALL FIVE shift values, ALL five....Their head mechanic (I use the term loosely) agreed they are wrong after the test drive.
And as for the call from their Tech Line; I posted the service manager said I would recieve a call no later than 3 days, that was Thursday before last: 3/25/2010 -- Seven working days.
This post is not to complain, its to help others with the same problem, and I know there are more from what I have read. Not just with the Elantra, but alot of their cars are doing this with the mileage.
I have been reading on the net about this happening to people, and the dealer's arent helping. Of course in my case, I have the printout, so they have no way to wiggle out of it. Their computer lied, period.
If I sound upset, I am, because of the machine. Makes me wonder how many people have legitimate warranty issues ther Dyno's are mis-diagnosing, leaving people with poor running cars
Again, these dealers dont make much off car sales, the service department is there bread and butter, and warranty work costs THEM in labor and parts. They avoid it like the plague, when they should be honoring their warranty claims.
I for one, was influenced by their 10 year warranty. But what good is it if they dont honor it.
And two weeks for a call back that should have been 3 days, from a company this big, also make me nervous and angry.
On a side note, I love the car. Seriously. Its a great little vehicle! Its got EVERYTHING. I have the black sport package. Sunroof, rims, 4 wheel disc breaks, ipod, USB, airbags all over.
But I traded in a honda Element with just 30k on the OD for one reason, and only one reason, MPG. I was unhappy with the Honda's mileage, and gas, as we all know, is expensive. I wasnt kidding with my truck, either. I have an 06 Nissan Titan with a V8 that gets 18 city the way I drive. But it shifts at 11 or 1200 rpm. like ALL cars should
All that said, I will say agin, and those of you getting good shifts know this, if my car were shifting like their Dyno said it was, I'd be getting 25 MPG city, easy, maybe more, and anyone who isnt getting low RPM shifts, yet drives mellow, should also be concerned. You likley have the same problem I do. Hyundai needs to address, and fix this.
Anyone needs a copy of my Dyno scores, PM me.
John

Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM

And toZero Ten, a good friend of mine is a Lawyer for Renault in France, and yes, the American market is what ALL car makers want, worldwide. That said, the American is what everyone everywhere wants. Particualarly in this global economic slump. And the Toyota issue is related in that these issues are indicative of quality control and honoring warranties, and yes, these issues are being scrutinized, heavily, by various US agencies. One reason is to push US car sales, but thats another issue entirely.
But I'm not here to argue, and if your not having the same problem I am, and dont wish to help, or contribute positive comments, then kindly stay out of the discussion.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnL.
Thank for the replys.
First of all, my car has an automatic transmission.
I know that. But you can still manually shift an automatic.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Your car is running the program that Hyundai engineering designed, and EPA approved..

Unless the transmission is slamming into gear, slipping, shift flare.. there is no fault, it is operating as designed. Shift timing is a result of throttle angle, load, rpm, vehicle speed and a host of other inputs from the powertrain module to the trans control module..

I assume the shifter has the "sport mode"... drive it as a manual auto matic and see how your mileage changes... I drive a 5 speed M/T, I shift anywhere from 2500 -4000 depending on hard I wish to accellerate.. there is no set given spec that an auto trans has to shift before 2500 rpm.. that sounds like you is barely doing 25-30% throttle and lugging the thing, rather than using throttle pedal application to pull longer and shift as the load decrease and upshift to work the load again. Around town, hold 3rd gear till conditions warrant use of 4th.

There is nothing on the dealer level that can be altered.. it all comes from Hyunda Motor Co as an update/ or program change that gets installed to the module' ROM.

There are no current programs for auto trans listed in my dealer login menu, or engine updates available.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JohnL.
And toZero Ten, a good friend of mine is a Lawyer for Renault in France, and yes, the American market is what ALL car makers want, worldwide. That said, the American is what everyone everywhere wants. Particualarly in this global economic slump. And the Toyota issue is related in that these issues are indicative of quality control and honoring warranties, and yes, these issues are being scrutinized, heavily, by various US agencies. One reason is to push US car sales, but thats another issue entirely.
But I'm not here to argue, and if your not having the same problem I am, and dont wish to help, or contribute positive comments, then kindly stay out of the discussion.
I don't even know where to begin with this one..... I think I will just avoid your posts from here on out. As for my contribution to this thread, I think I'll just leave it at:
I do not have the same issue, my car has a 5 speed manual and gets excellent mileage. Best of luck with the dealership, it sounds like you will really need it.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Forgot to add,,, Tech lines doe not talk to customers... they will only talk to the tech or other authorized dealer person.

Your only contact with Hyundai will be Consumer Affairs, a Service Manager who in turn will speak with DPSM, and DPSM with appointment to inspect car and speak with you in person.

Quick Reply: Need help w/Terrible mileage, whats your RPM at shifts