Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Question on USB connection

Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Bought my car in Ontario Canada (GLS Sport) and the only USB or aux port at all is in the centre console.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by chriskwarren
Bought my car in Ontario Canada (GLS Sport) and the only USB or aux port at all is in the centre console.
Hmm, sort of kills that notion.

The reason I thought of the European connection goes back to when I helped my daughter purchase a 2009 Sonata more than a year ago that had the USB/AUX setup. The dealership told us any generic USB cable would permit the head unit to interactively work with an Ipod. When that proved to be wrong, I started searching Goggle for cabling and came across the USB cables for the Kenwood units on European Ebay sites, describing the Kenwood head units as stock. This is what I get for assuming something...

Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi,

2008 European i30 has USB + 3,5mm aux connection under the armwrest. It's supposed to act like iPod Dock connector, but at least my iPhone 3G doesn't recognise it: it just vibrates shortly for time to time when connected, doesnt recharge or play music.

I have listened MP3s from a basic 2gb USB flash memory plugged in the usb connector and I love how simpel it is to use compared to CDs! The USB memory has been connected to the slot for over a year now and it has not been damaged from starting the car etc. However, if you have a USB device that could be more sensitive to electrical interference (camera, iPod, iPhone), I would suggest to plug it in after you start your car. There is always a risk of current spikes when starter motor/ignition is used.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Harril
Hi,

2008 European i30 has USB + 3,5mm aux connection under the armwrest. It's supposed to act like iPod Dock connector, but at least my iPhone 3G doesn't recognise it: it just vibrates shortly for time to time when connected, doesnt recharge or play music.
I was able to get the Iphone 3G to work with the Ipod cable that I purchased from the dealer. It sure took a lot of on/off radio and phone combinations but once it clicked, it works very nicely. The screen on the radio showed the music options and would even let me play podcasts, too.

The problem was the cord was too short to allow for phone use or even seeing the caller ID when plugged in.

If they made this cord 2 feet longer or with an extension, i would definitely use it.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ken99
Hmm, sort of kills that notion.

The reason I thought of the European connection goes back to when I helped my daughter purchase a 2009 Sonata more than a year ago that had the USB/AUX setup. The dealership told us any generic USB cable would permit the head unit to interactively work with an Ipod. When that proved to be wrong, I started searching Goggle for cabling and came across the USB cables for the Kenwood units on European Ebay sites, describing the Kenwood head units as stock. This is what I get for assuming something...
The Sports Models in Canada has the Type A USB in the centre console armrest. The all the other models have the Mini-USB (Type B) connecter to the top-left corner of the radio.

I just got a GL model last week and I ordered an adapter for it. I am hoping everything will work fine and that I will be able to control my iPod from the radio itself. I am thinking that Hyundai probably wanted to make some extra $$$ by selling the iPod cables as an additional acessory. Cable probable costs 1-2$ to produce, but Hyundai sells it at 35$.

Here is the link to the cable I am talking about:

http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com...pod_cable.html

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Default Podcasts?

Anyone using the USB cable able to find podcasts from the Radio's interface?

I can find music by playlists, artist and genre. I can even find audiobooks, too. I wasn't able to find the podcasts. When the ipod is connected you can't look it up on the unit.

I was able to start on a podcast, connect it and go from one podcast to the next but as soon as I hit category up, I couldn't find a way to get back into the podcasts.

I am using the Hyundai Accessory Cable and an Iphone 3G.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by toonworld
The Sports Models in Canada has the Type A USB in the centre console armrest. The all the other models have the Mini-USB (Type B) connecter to the top-left corner of the radio.
Has anybody been able to get their hands on the cable for the USB Mini-B connector based stereos? I bought a 2010 Elantra Touring two weeks ago, and when I asked at the parts counter at my dealership, they said they don't expect to get the cables until summer at the earliest.

Checking the (brief) stereo manual that came with the vehicle, while it does mention support for USB sticks, it doesn't mention any iPod support. I'd like to be able to plug in and control my 2nd generation iPod Touch, so if anyone has been able to successfully interface with the Mini-B based stereos that are shipping in Canada, and have experience with it working with an iPod, I'd love to hear about it.

(The car was sold to me as having iPod support, so I'm trying to make sure I wasn't fed some incorrect information by my sales rep, and if possible would love to get the necessary cable to be able to control my iPod as well as listen to it, as here in BC it is now illegal to use any handheld electronics while driving).

Yaz.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM

I found the cheapest option for connecting your thumb drives or MP3 players to the stereo, its through a Chinese site called DealExtreme, for under $2 shipped you can buy the adapter for this. Here is a link to it:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26783
I bought this, then plug a 4GB thumb drive into it. I keep it plugged in all the time since if I start up the radio with it unplugged (as the manual suggests) then it loses my place. Since the thumb drive is worth ~$8 I figure if it eventually wrecks it I just don't care.

The radio with the mini-B port does __NOT__ allow iPod control, just to be clear. It supports anything that functions as a USB mass storage device, so if you plug your Mp3 player or iPod into your computer and it shows up as a disk drive then this radio will support it.

The GLS sport with the double-din radio and USB female A plug in the arm rest __DOES__ have iPod support and can control your iPod through the radio.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by zero10
The radio with the mini-B port does __NOT__ allow iPod control, just to be clear. It supports anything that functions as a USB mass storage device, so if you plug your Mp3 player or iPod into your computer and it shows up as a disk drive then this radio will support it.
That's about what I had guessed -- it's good to have some confirmation. I've found a few A/mini-B F/M connectors online, but the shipping for them is often 3 - 4 times the price of the adaptor itself. So I'm still checking local shops first.

At the very least I suppose I can use the +5VDC output to keep my iPod charged, even if I won't be able to control it. Most of my music is AAC encoded, so just dumping it onto a big key isn't going to be a solution unless I get around to putting together a quick script to batch convert them to MP3.

I'll also check with my dealership again as extra confirmation -- they seem to be under the impression that iPod cables will be made available for this stereo later this year.

Yaz.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM

The adapter I linked from dealExtreme is under $2 and all of their stuff includes shipping. When I looked locally electronics shops wanted ~$15 for an adapter.

Do you have the manual for the radio? Does it say in there about iPod control? I have learned from experience not to take the dealer's word on anything

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on USB connection