Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned
Default Rattles!

This has been a fun little car, but jeez the rattles are driving me nuts...

1.) The first rattle I found right after I got the car was coming from the passenger side and seemed to be isolated to one of the doors. It was worse when it was cold out and generally activated by bumpy roads or going in and out of abrupt driveways. I took it to the dealer and couldn't get it to do it for them and I think it was because the weight of the tech sitting in the car made it go away. He suggested it was something to do with the active head restraint mechanism in the passenger seat. I didn't buy it, but I did manage adjust the fore/aft on the headrest and it seemed to help it. I still don't know if it was a coincidence because the weather started warming right around that time and it hasn't done it since.

2.) The 2nd one sounded like a dash rattle at first until I isolated it to the area of the roof right in front of the sun roof window. I pulled my dome light/sunglass holder out and found that it was the sun roof motor rattling. I slapped some padded tape in there to isolate it and it has been quiet since.

3.) Then there was the buzzing coming from the cargo area on the passenger side. I traced it to the seat belt tensioner. I have yet to take it in to see if that can be replaced. It is annoying as heck when I am on broken/rough pavement which I find myself on quite frequently.

4.) Yesterday, I finally realized the funny noise I was hearing was an exhaust rattle. I was surprised how well this car insulated from outside noises because it was rather quiet with the windows up, even with the stereo turned all the way down. It gets louder as the car gets hotter (stop and go traffic or riding around in the heat of the day). I crawled underneath and found where I think the rattle is originating. There is a flex joint between the first and second cat where the O2 sensor plugs and there is heat shield I suspect may be causing this. I am interested to see how the dealer addresses this.

God I hate rattles!

Attached Thumbnails Rattles!-exhaust.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

I have a rattle when accelerating (gently), between 2500 and 3000rpm, the car does a strange "radio" buzzing (sounds like static)... if I go into another gear, (or simply press the clutch), the sound disappear. It doesn't happen often though.

I think it is coming from the frot dash, but I couldn't pinpoint where.

also note that if your radio plays, you might not notice it.

Last edited by Balinus; 07-14-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM

I DO love my new ET Sport, but I suppose I should add my random odd noises to the list...

1) The hard plastic parts on the dash (the vent surrounds on the far sides of the dash, and the radio/hvac surround in the centre) all emit that cheap plasticky crackling/chirping noise over harsher bumps.

2) The rear hatch "groans" ever so slightly when maneuvering slowly over uneven pavement, or through a parking lot.

3) And, what could best be described as the odd popping noise originating from the top of the dashboard, lower windshield area.....but VERY rarely.

I will be mentioning the first two to the dealer, when I take the car in for it's first service. As for the third, it's still pretty hard to pinpoint the location of the noise as it is so random.

Now I realize that with the harsher ride of the sport model, the odd rattle or noise should be expected. It just seems a little odd on a brand new car, especially after trading in my 12-year old Corolla, which was virtually squeak and rattle free after all those years.

Or maybe I'm being too picky.....LOL

Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

Well, I took the car to the dealer after work today. While I didn't get a chance to have them look at my buzzing seat belt tensioner (it isn't as bothersome as my exhaust rattle), I did get them to diagnose the exhaust rattle. They think it is actually resonator, so that section of the exhaust was ordered to hopefully get replaced later this week. I will report back on those results.

My dash also cracks and pops, especially after the car has been sitting all day in the hot sun. It is almost like it is releasing pressure, like cracking your knuckles and not being able to do it again for a while. It doesn't bother me that much. I have also gotten used to the hatch creaking. The little round bumpers at the bottom corners of the hatch screw in and out which allows you to adjust the preload on the latch, so if you have excessive creaking, you might play with that to see if it helps. I have also noticed folding the back seats down causes more creaking, almost like you are removing some rigidity from the body. It may sound goofy, but I swear I can tell a difference in sound.

My sensitivity to sounds is greater than the average person. I think it is my dad's fault because he is the same way and I learned from him. I do realize that a vehicle that costs under $20K isn't going to be as tight and rattle free as a $40K luxury car, but I think some of the noises I am dealing with are not right even for this car.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM

I also have a couple of rattles.

The passenger side, side air vent definitely rattles. I sprayed a little silicone spray and stopped the rattle for a while, just don't know how to fix it permanently yet.

The back hatch groaned when going over bumps, but I found the plastic wasn't snapped in all the way around the inside of the hatch itself. Just popped it back in and all is good there.

There is a new rattle on the passenger side dashboard, I haven't spent time looking for it yet and it goes away when the car gets warm from the sun

Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM

I have an odd very faint "buzzy" rattle coming from the drivers side dash (I think). Best described as a loose plastic bezel rattling, even though I haven't found it. It seems that if I lean forward it goes away! I've tried pressing on all kinds of things on the surface when it's happening to no avail, so I think it's coming from inside the dash. Only happens on rough road, like when the aggregate has worn though, (and when the stereo is low or off... which isn't often

Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM

I too have noises but they seem to be determined by the temperature. Never consistent enough for me to take to the dealer but can be annoying. One is in the dash....I think the plastics expand and contract and the other noise with the hatch door. That was terrible and with the warmer temps it has disappeared, at least for now.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM

I can't be specific, but yes, my 2009 ET rattles. I can't stand cars that rattle. My 12 year old Subaru never rattled. I just turn my radio up and pretend I can't hear it. I still really like the car.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

Well, I am happy to report that my exhaust rattle has been fixed. I really was convinced that it was the flex joint piece I had posted a picture of, but the dealer said it was the mid-pipe containing the resonator and that is what they ordered for me. I got it replaced yesterday and problem solved. Now, I can try to get some of the other rattles fixed.

Has anybody else with the manual transmission, particularly with the B&M shifter, have problems with the shifter buzzing? Mine does it when you get up around 3000-4000 rpm. I don't know if this can be adjusted out, but is seems to have gotten worse since I got the car. If I can get that noise and the rattling back seat belt tensioner fixed, I just might be a happy camper.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by elantra_tourer
Has anybody else with the manual transmission, particularly with the B&M shifter, have problems with the shifter buzzing? Mine does it when you get up around 3000-4000 rpm.
I have that shifter and do not have any buzzing. Quite a few screws and such have to be undone for the install of the shifter, and if not put back correctly could cause rattling, so the question I ask is it the shifter or the center console?

Quick Reply: Rattles!