Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Rattles!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM

10,000 miles & no buzzing here!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ihbobry
I have that shifter and do not have any buzzing. Quite a few screws and such have to be undone for the install of the shifter, and if not put back correctly could cause rattling, so the question I ask is it the shifter or the center console?
Most definitely the shifter. You can manipulate the buzzing by putting pressure on the shifter (left, right, fore, or aft). For example, if I am in 2nd running up the tach and it starts buzzing, all I have to do is gently nudge the shifter back towards its stop and it will make it buzz if it isn't buzzing or stop it from buzzing if it is buzzing. I am planning to take the car to a different dealer than I normally go to since my dad knows all of the service people and they will hopefully be more willing to help me with this than my local dealer I usually go to.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM

The sport shifter has a heavy weight of sorts on the shaft for the reverse lockout. if you grab the shifter by the boot you can feel it on the drivers side of the shaft. When buzzing occurs try this and see if it goes away. The ball and socket @ the end of the shifter is a rather tight set unit so I would think it odd for the lower part of the shifter to be causing this issue unless the cable assy is misaligned... (ya never know)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ihbobry
The sport shifter has a heavy weight of sorts on the shaft for the reverse lockout. if you grab the shifter by the boot you can feel it on the drivers side of the shaft. When buzzing occurs try this and see if it goes away. The ball and socket @ the end of the shifter is a rather tight set unit so I would think it odd for the lower part of the shifter to be causing this issue unless the cable assy is misaligned... (ya never know)
I was actually looking at that the other day. I unsnapped/velcroed the boot and snugged the 4 hex bolts just a tad. It seems to have slightly reduced the buzzing. I just need to take it in and have them look at the remaining rattles that I have pinpointed.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by elantra_tourer
Most definitely the shifter. You can manipulate the buzzing by putting pressure on the shifter (left, right, fore, or aft). For example, if I am in 2nd running up the tach and it starts buzzing, all I have to do is gently nudge the shifter back towards its stop and it will make it buzz if it isn't buzzing or stop it from buzzing if it is buzzing. I am planning to take the car to a different dealer than I normally go to since my dad knows all of the service people and they will hopefully be more willing to help me with this than my local dealer I usually go to.
I have the exact same conditions and it has gotten worse. I used to only notice it when I pushed the lever slightly forward in 5th but now it does it on its own. I haven't been to the dealer yet but am curious if anyone else has found a solution. Mostly noticed when I let off on the gas slightly.