Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Rear Combination Light Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Default Rear Combination Light Assembly

I want to replace a burned out stop light on my Elantra Touring (2010), but can’t get the “combination light assembly” off. I took out the 3 retaining screws, and don’t want to force/break the assembly. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Ted

Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM

There are two prongs on the assembly that snap into the bodywork; one at the top of the assembly and one at about the mid-point. You have to work some type on thin tool between the assembly and the bodywork to disengage the prongs and release the assembly. Be careful or you'll chip the paint. Of course, the worthless owners manual failed to mention the clips, or for that matter, even the type of replacement stop light bulb! Like you, I was able to loosen the assembly but couldn't free it up without risking breaking the whole thing.

I finally had to go to a Hyundai dealership and get a couple of technicians to screw around with the thing until they figured it out. All this for a burned out bulb. Unbelievable!

Jim

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Default Rear Combinatoin Light Assembly reply

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I thought it was me just not understanding what appeared to be a very easy way to replace the burnt out bulb. I may try gently prying out the assembly now that I know there are two clips. But like you I don't really want to chip the paint or break the unit - it looks expensive. So I may have to go to the dealer and spend the money to get the !@$@!$# bulb replaced.
Ted

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM

I had the same issue with my '09 Touring stop light bulb replace. I used a wooden paint paddle normally used for mixing paint. By carefully inserting and prying the light assembly away at the top I gained enough clearance to insert a thicker wooden yard stick. More prying and I got the upper 'prong' disengaged from the body allowing to top of the light assembly to pull far enough away to remove the stop light bulb assembly. Not fun but doable.

Ray